Quintessential coin by mint

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm working on building my collection, and I would like to have at least on coin from each of the US mints. At least initially it will be a type collection, so I'm looking to avoid having the same coin from multiple mints. Since I don't have a TON of funds, I don't really want the rarest coin from a mint, just one that is a good representation of the mint and its history.

I already have plenty of modern coins from Denver, Philadelphia, and a few proofs from San Fransisco, though I'm not opposed to adding others of significance.

Two examples would be I'm thinking of a 1996 W dime (inexpensive, but commemorative) and an 1861 O half ( ok, it's expensive, but the CSA/succession aspect is interesting)

So I'm looking for any ideas you folks have. Thanks!!

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here, take a look at this one... ? 1861-O Seated Liberty Half Dollar PCGS Genuine - VF Details, Cleaning

Good luck on finding all the mint marks. Dahlonega is going to be difficult, as well as Charlottte. Both are only gold coins, are extremely rare, and extremely expensive. If you are looking for Carson City, go for the 75, 76, and 77 CCs for the dimes, the 76, 77, and 78 CCs for the quarters, and the 75, 76, and 77 for the half dollars (By the way, it is 1800s). The least expensive for the Morgan's are worth a little over $100.

The cheapest on the CCs on eBay are at around $15 with 6 hours left. Free shipping.

Good luck on your magnificent quest! I am going for all the countries in the world, so I guess we both have a little ways to go. :laughing7:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like fun on these. Good Luck. As far a coins from other countries, I have thousands and most I haven't identified yet. Some old and some new.

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes to show how far I've gotten in this quest that I didn't realize Charlotte and Dahlonega were strictly gold. Makes sense, just didn't realize it.

Thankfully for the moment, I'm not trying for a type set for each mint, just a type set of US coins that includes at least one coin from each mint. Gold coins are a ways off, so Charlotte and Dahlonega are going to have to wait...

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say a nice 1881 S Morgan would be a good piece for this collection. They are as common as Morgans get. The are typically high quality strike and surface. You could probably get a nice prooflike AU without breaking the bank. $50 to $70 for one with REAL eye appeal.

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the offer pony, but Christmas wiped us out pretty hard this year - it is going to be a bit before I have some extra money to spend.

Maybe I'll have to include some coins on MY Christmas list next year...

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is actually all I ask for each year, but then I also end up getting a whole bunch of other stuff like gift cards. Most of my family doesn't collect, so it's hard for them to know what coins to buy and where. Luckily, I ended up with $80 in gift cards and spent almost all of it on coin books.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread