Coins Known Question!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think that that is an impossible question. taking into account that you have the variable that someone has some hoarded that is unknown to the market. Don't they just assume that the mintage number is more or less still out there? Hopefully someone can give a good answer. It would be interesting to know.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some coins have a rarity rating, with an estimated number surviving. I think this is mostly early US and Colonials with a long track record of sales and known collections. Even so it is a best guess with many sitting unattributed in collections.

OP
OP
coinsareawesome

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen the rarity number on many of my coins on sites that I have looked at, my highest being a 97/100. The only times I have ever seen known numbers is through rarities, both colonial and more modern US coins.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly fool around with colonials, they are usually assigned a rarity rating ranging from R1, more than 1250 known to R8 2 or 3 known and unique, of course one known.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On older gold and silver coins, the mintage numbers can be deceiving. There were many buy back/melt downs in our history were large numbers of old coins were destroyed. They didn't keep a record if each year and mintmark. Usually the years right before a melt down were the most effected as they were the most common ones in circulation. Looking at a price guide and comparing that to the numbers made will give you some indication as to how many were destroyed. Take the late 20's-early 30's gold pieces. Quite a few were made, but most were melted down and some never made circulation.

OP
OP
coinsareawesome

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your information. I was expecting to get an answer like "no", but instead I got a lot more information than bargained for!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions