Need opinions on value of my collection

gwakeley

Apr 4, 2011
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455839459.657585.jpg
Everything I have is basically junk silver besides the proof ASE the Morgan's etc. I've hit hard times and need some quick cash and was wondering what yous guys think a fair for both parties price is. I was thinking In the 350$ range

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Condition, condition, condition... it all depends on condition. I mean, we really don't need to see pictures of the proof washington quarter, the proof ASE, the olympic silver dollar, or the 40% halves, but it would be nice to see pictures of most of the others in order to give a valid estimate.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
On the basic base coins, use the COINFLATION melt prices for each, at least you'll have a base price to look, for comparisons. Or, get ahold of a RED BOOK, and be able to grade each coin independently.

S

stefen

For instance years ago I made an excel sheet and listed each coin by denomination and graded using Red Book.

Next I made a column of current RB value and lastly extended a column of totals.

This form is updated annually for insurance purposes.

Pictures are kept and are updated by new additions.

At any time I can review running Sub-Totals by denomination and overall Grand Totals.

#3 above is correct. You need to run a total by quantity (and not dollar amounts) to arrive at a grand total.

I doubt that anyone will pay full dollar value for your collection.

Therefore you need to determine what reduced dollar value you will be willing to accept.

Hope this helps.

Anyone in the market to bail you out will make their own evaluation to determine if your anal pick is in the ball park.

If it's out of whack, expect reasonable offers.

Last edited:
S

stefen

You may find that there are people buying coins for the silver or gold content only.

Others may purchase coins selectively based on grading to complete collections.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Condition, condition, condition... it all depends on condition. I mean, we really don't need to see pictures of the proof washington quarter, the proof ASE, the olympic silver dollar, or the 40% halves, but it would be nice to see pictures of most of the others in order to give a valid estimate.

He said it's basically junk silver, so "condition, condition, condition" doesn't really matter. It's gonna sell for about melt plus a small premium over melt on the silver dollars (common dates). Whatever that adds up to - I don't have the current price of silver in front of me.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He never specified what was junk silver other than "proof ASE, Morgans, etc.," so that means it's pretty much up to the OP to figure out what is relevant to take pictures of and what isn't.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever it may be worth, be expected to get so many lowball offers there on craigslist that you may just wish to hold on to them. Let enough people know you are desperate for cash and plenty of snakes will contact you with such offers.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was going to offer him $50 for everything. You know, because I'm a snake, oh, and I want him to get a Charter Membership. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread