1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John_Adams_Presidential_%241_Coin_obverse john adams.png

I found a John Adams One Dollar Coin . It is not gold but if new looks like it . The coin is 88% copper and now looks like copper . Is there anyway to get the gold look back ? I do not think so but though I would ask to be sure .

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It really isn't a coin. It is a president token from they think the 1960's. Made of brass I believe.

No idea on how to plate a token. Somebody might know.

OP
OP
1942 merc

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No...It is a coin. The Presidential $1 Coin Program is part of an Act of Congress, Pub.L. 109–145, 119 Stat. 2664, enacted December 22, 2005, which directs the United States Mint to produce $1 coins with engravings of relief portraits of U.S. presidents on the obverse.

From 2007 to 2011, presidential $1 coins were minted for circulation in large numbers, resulting in a large stockpile of unused $1 coins. Since 2012, new presidential coins have been minted only for collectors.

OP
OP
1942 merc

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These coins are not really made out of gold, nor gold plate. In fact, the coin metal composition is 88.5% Copper, 6% Zinc, 3.5% Manganese and 2% Nickel, with the Manganese bronze giving it a golden color.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You are right. I didn't look at the back picture till you replied. learn something new everyday\

This is the composition of the coin.

Copper with manganese brass cladding:
88.5% Cu
6% Zn
3.5% Mn
2% Ni

No gold. No idea on how to get the cladding back. It is weird that I don't remember seeing one before. I must have. Kind of upsetting to me that I don't remember.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's no different than a copper cent turning brown over time. It's toned due to what nobody knows. To get it back to it's original color would only damage the coin.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many do you want? Every bank I go to, I ask for Ike's and they reply, no we don't have those but we have the gold dollars. I wish they were worth the time and effort to search because that is the coinage every bank has. With the exception of the errors on the first 3 or proofs, is there a reason to search these coins?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
How many do you want? Every bank I go to, I ask for Ike's and they reply, no we don't have those but we have the gold dollars. I wish they were worth the time and effort to search because that is the coinage every bank has. With the exception of the errors on the first 3 or proofs, is there a reason to search these coins?

Yes, I've never even heard of them! Doesn't sound like Scuba Detector had, either. That might be a coin that grows in value rather quickly over the years...if you don't mind waiting. :laughing7:

OP
OP
1942 merc

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Barney : I was metal detecting when I found this coin . If I wanted to buy one there are many for sale . I just wanted to know if I could get the gold color back and it looks like a no . Is this not the right place to ask questions ? The coin forum ?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The current color on your coin is normal oxidation due to the alloy of that coin type. Since you found it while detecting, I am a bit surprised it has no visible pitting. Unfortunately, there is no practical way of returning the coin to a like-new luster. It is worth face value. If you want to find some quality John Adams dollars on the cheap, just ask the tellers. While most rolls will be a mix, there may be a few solid rolls of John Adams near you.

Just an aside, but when roll hunting, if what I want (typically halves and nickels) are not available, I will take whatever denomination the bank has available. I have found several errors among the small dollar coins. Cracked dies, cuds, machine doubling, and the like. Since I do not collect small dollars, these become available for trade with other collectors.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Of course, you could always electro-plate or dip a thin layer of 24k over it - that would make it more valuable, but would also (probably) cost more than what the value increase would be. Dipping would cost less, but is also less durable.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I've never even heard of them! Doesn't sound like Scuba Detector had, either. That might be a coin that grows in value rather quickly over the years...if you don't mind waiting. :laughing7:

These will never be valued at more than a dollar. These are actually quite common. I'm actually surprised you haven't seen them because they are normal currency. On the other hand, the reason you've probably haven't seen them is because no one wants them. There are literally warehouses full that the mint has them stored. Because of this the mint has started minting the later issues for collectors to order only. The only way these things will ever normally circulate is if the dollar bill is no longer made.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread