mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this 1875 50 Pfennig coin metal detecting but as you can see a possible field plowing has bent the coin. From the research I've done I know the coin is 90% silver and I would think it should be fairly easy to straighten out since it is not bent too badly.

Has anybody had experience in accomplishing this and could give me some sound advice? I have read that the more silver content a coin has, the less chance of breakage.

Attachments

• Obverse.jpg
    Obverse.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Side View.jpg
    Side View.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 120

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Use wood on both sides and clamp it in a vise??

What have you got to lose?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't have a vise handy, get 2 pieces of hard wood, or sandwich the coin in several layers of cloth and use with any hard surface; concrete, steel, etc. Use a hammer to lightly tap the coin. Check the coin often for flatness. You may need to flip the coin a few times before getting it really close.

Whether a vise or a hammer, don't use so much force that you disturb the coin detail.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can kind of roll it too with wood. Another thing to consider? The damage is done! It may be "stretched" enough that it won't ever go back perfect. All of the stuff mentioned so far works! Get it "close enough" and call it good! I've over played with them and it gets too a point where it starts getting worse!:laughing7: Flip it over, so it is on the opposite side of picture 2, and get an old maple or similar rolling pin out or hard wood! Put the coin on the counter or good spot on the cutting board! And press down hard on the rolling pin(not by handles, palms above coin) and kind of rock back and forth a couple of times.You may have to flip it over even at one point. This is why people like the wood and vice, it does it all at once. Your not really going to hurt it any worse unless you way way over do it. Pounding on it with a metal hammer will hurt it of course! It is real common to find old dimes and half dimes bent like that too, for some reason.:laughing7:

Or any of the above posts will work too! Just another way that I have seen an old coin dealer do, and he showed me, who knows if it is correct? It works. Again? chances are it will never be perfect, but you can get it a lot flatter than it is, and your not going to hurt it any worse and it will actually improve it.

Cool coin!!

Added....

Don't do this!!:laughing7:

This guy is full of BS if he thinks he isn't adding any scratches to this coin!! The silver is picking up any imperfections from the dirty old RR track or anvil and transferring it to the coin every time he hits the paint stick with the hammer! :laughing7: I know! I've done something similar not a good idea!:BangHead:

Last edited:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Put it between two hard wood 2 x 4, drive over it with your car, DONE.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suppose any above methods will work.

You spent much time in France lately?

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
My tried and true method is to place the coin on a railroad track and wait for the 4:15 to come roaring through. Hint: Don't derail the train.

OP
OP
mindcrime1988

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Releventchair, it is cooler with that "swoop" in it.

Nice find, congrats!

Took some of y'alls advice and I plan on keeping the coin as is. It does not have too much of a bend in it so I can live with that. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread