tallguybry

Jan 12, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Hey!

I purchased a bag of blank copper planchets at a garage sale years ago. I think I paid $2 for all of them. They are roughly the same diameter as a Quarter. I have 28 with plain edges and 6 with reeded edges. They weigh anywhere from 5.9 to 6.7 grams.

Any idea what they are?

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1615.JPG

H$H!
TGB

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely no idea, but can't wait to find out.

The same here and I can only think that they are Foreign Coin planchets. If this is the case, did they come from a Mint from another country or did they come from a U.S. Mint and were intended for striking coinage for a Foreign country??!!

Frank

tjcarr

Jul 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here we go again those blank we circulated in late 60s early seventies....reeded edges we believe are illegal; these things were used in (remember these)pay phones, coin op machines vending machines.....due to the shiny surface it is advised to wipe your finger prints off the surface because u will get caught. other than that I know nuttn

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here we go again those blank we circulated in late 60s early seventies....reeded edges we believe are illegal; these things were used in (remember these)pay phones, coin op machines vending machines.....due to the shiny surface it is advised to wipe your finger prints off the surface because u will get caught. other than that I know nuttn

Can we get a translator to translate that for us?

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I find these too in Europe, mainly in Italy, Luxembourg and France.

I too figured they are what is known as a Slug https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug_(coin) But they do not match in size or weight any of the coinage used in the past or currently in these countries.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; They are blanks that were used in coin machines all over the country. They were used especially in Arcade Games and phones. If you got caught they would Arrest you but I guess the lore of saving a few pennies was to much for some idiots to ignore. People sold tem in lots to other Criminals and to Store Owners who would have them stamped with their logo's on them saving them a few bucks in the process. They also came from Electrical Plugs where folks would save them for awhile and cash them in for scrap value when they had enough ok. The only value they have today is scrap value unless they are stamped. I hope this helps. PEACE:RONB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread