60 slanted 0, not an impact PMD
72 on brass, possible Philippines 5 sentismos
72 die crack at "N" & "G"
70-S "floating roof"
64-D missing dot after Unum- greaser
65 obverse CUD above "N"
70 doubled date
60-D die chips at "R", "6" & "E" on reverse
68-S with MM shifted to left IMG_3591.JPG IMG_3592.JPG IMG_3593.JPG IMG_3594.JPG IMG_3595.JPG IMG_3596.JPG IMG_3597.JPG IMG_3598.JPG IMG_3599.JPG IMG_3600.JPG IMG_3601.JPG IMG_3602.JPG IMG_3603.JPG IMG_3604.JPG IMG_3605.JPG IMG_3606.JPG IMG_3607.JPG IMG_3608.JPG IMG_3609.JPG IMG_3610.JPG IMG_3611.JPG IMG_3612.JPG add in star notes, dug goodies, silver from rolls and reject trays, errors are just an added topping to making money on money.:laughing7::icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:8-)

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 1960 is the result of a hit. Sorry, but nothing in the minting process can cause that.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1968 S isn't special. Mint marks were added to the die by hand in those days and can be anywhere under the date.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's what I thought. So, what part of the '67 am I looking at to see the LAM?

Weren't '67's solid cents? I didn't think laminations started until 1982.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They started plating cents in 82. Lams are totally different. It is where pieces of the coin stock have imperfections that causes pieces of the coin to peel away.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The first 1972-P Lincoln Cent is not a Brass Cent which is evidenced by the Reverse pic. The 1965-P Cent does not have a Cud along the rim above the "N" of "IN". It is likely the result of a de-lamination piece that likely separated from a previously struck Cent which landed on the pictured coin and got struck into it, during the striking (minting) process. The second 1972-P Cent has extra thickness on the letters of "IN GOD WE TRUST" and might actually be one of the eighteen Doubled Die Obverse Varieties known. I am sorry but IMHO, the coins have very little value above face value and believe your LCS saw you coming per se!

Frank

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sorry but IMHO, the coins have very little value above face value and believe your LCS saw you coming per se!
Frank

Well, I've seen some very knowledgeable members weigh in on this.

And that's why I don't spend hours looking at pennies for WAM's, BAM's, or whatever.

Okay, I called them pennies when I was a pup, and I call them pennies today. That's my ONE CENT worth!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And that's why I don't spend hours looking at pennies for WAM's, BAM's, or whatever.

Okay, I called them pennies when I was a pup, and I call them pennies today. That's my ONE CENT worth!

Some of these guys have awesome memories!!! I sorted thousands of cents/pennies and I can't remember crap!!! I have a tube here that I thought was special, and have no clue why now! So, I keep them just in case!!!:laughing7: I know I have a somewhat double date(or something with it) 72 somewhere. but can't find the only one I remember had an error!! I'm not all that old yet! I'm in real trouble later on!!

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

I look at Cents every time I can as they are cheap when gotten via pocket change or by getting rolls from the Bank. Since more Cents are minted every year than any other denomination, they inherently have more Errors and Varieties than any other coins minted and some of which can be fairly valuable to astronomically valuable. The case in point is the 1969-S Lincoln Cent Doubled Die Obverse #1, the 1970-S Lincoln Cent Doubled Die Obverse #1 and the 1992-P&D Lincoln Cents with "Close AM" Reverses. All of these in Uncirculated condition fetch 4 to 5 figures at auction and some higher grade coins can actually fetch 6 figures. There is an assortment of other Doubled Die Obverse and Reverse Varieties, other Varieties and Errors that can fetch hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars and I am just referencing those struck since 1969. When you go back before 1969, there are hundreds and hundreds of Varieties and Errors that fetch the same figures as the last. I know of no denomination or series of U.S. Coinage minted after 1908, that has or ever can parallel Lincoln Cents as to the prices some can fetch at auction for some of the Varieties and Errors!

Frank

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look at Cents every time I can as they are cheap when gotten via pocket change or by getting rolls from the Bank. Since more Cents are minted every year than any other denomination, they inherently have more Errors and Varieties than any other coins minted and some of which can be fairly valuable to astronomically valuable. The case in point is the 1969-S Lincoln Cent Doubled Die Obverse #1, the 1970-S Lincoln Cent Doubled Die Obverse #1 and the 1992-P&D Lincoln Cent with "Close AM" Reverses. All of these in Uncirculated condition fetch 4 to 5 figures at auction and some higher grade coins can actually fetch 6 figures. There is an assortment of other Doubled Die Obverse and Reverse Varieties, other Varieties and Errors that can fetch hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars and I am just referencing those struck since 1969. When you go back before 1969, there are hundreds and hundreds of Varieties and Errors that fetch the same figures as the last. I know of no denomination or series of U.S. Coinage minted after 1908, that has or ever can parallel Lincoln Cents as to the prices some can fetch at auction for some of the Varieties and Errors!

Frank

I had two five gallon buckets filled 3/4 of the way with copper 82 and before....I also sorted years in the coin tubes. In the past couple of years I needed money. I sold them on craigslist for face, just ran them through the counter.It was easier than coinstar, and I wasn't rolling all of them for the bank. Anyhow, about $380 worth. We sorted them REAL fast, I did look for some of the errors, but just didn't have the time. I kept most of the tubes with better looking,and even some UNC rolls. I have about 5 boxes of a hundred tubes left. I think we took 72 and before and some of the error years and just kept them all. But most of what I had was from buying coin collections. And penny hoards. Kind of makes me sick that we didn't/couldn't spend more time on them. I know I didn't want to move those buckets again!!! We started out years ago, one bucket for 80's copper, one for 70's, one for 60's, then when I moved they all got dumped in two buckets.

A coin dealer bought them, we sold him some gold recently, he still hadn't done anything with them yet..:laughing7:

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I try to save all of the true Copper Lincoln Cents that I get via pocket change, find in parking lots or in rolls from the Bank as the Copper in them is worth more than face value even if they are not Errors or Varieties.

Frank

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank is correct in his assessment. I'm afraid that dealer is ripping you off or he is like a lot of shop owners that really don't have a clue about coins. Sorry, but you lost money on this venture.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the impression that the OP didn't buy them, but, was going to sell them and split the profits with the LCS. :dontknow:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the impression that the OP didn't buy them, but, was going to sell them and split the profits with the LCS. :dontknow:

Ah yes, I read it wrong. With that being said, to sell those as a misrepresentation would be wrong. Don't sell something if it's not the case. You don't want to be that guy!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah yes, I read it wrong. With that being said, to sell those as a misrepresentation would be wrong. Don't sell something if it's not the case. You don't want to be that guy!

Ya...I could see that too!! I've known of those "money splits"...Then the LCS is off the hook.........Not saying that's what's going on here. But it happens.

Or maybe I was just around some "winners" that you had to watch your back, and question everything! And everything makes me suspicious or at least question!:laughing7:

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you are correct cudamark- my cost is zero, call it "consignment" for a trusted dealer and friend. as a note there is ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE of an impact on the '60 with the odd "0", the rim of the CUD cent appears intact, so the lump over the N may be an adhered copper flake. I assume there is no dispute on the die crack '72, the floating roof is in-disputable at 25X mag., the 64-D missing dot is a depression, as in filled die, the '70 doubled date is clear at 25X. best photos I can get with the 16MP digital. a few more errors to be presented on 8/17--a clad half with reeding on the face, a nickel "D" MM "variety?". the half will GUARANTEE create a bunch of opinions----just believe your lyin' eyes!!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 60 took a hit, probably from a wrapping machine 56 years ago. Not trying to argue, but it is what it is. had 56 years for it to wear smooth. NO part of the minting process can cause that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread