Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dealt in coins and collected some in the past. Never really learned how to grade well or cared too much about varieties. I was a coin "wholesaler" is what I call it. Just turn profit and let the next guy make every last dime out of it, so I basically sold to dealers. Just flipping them. I moved a lot of volume at that time and hung on to some things that interested me. Basically.

Today I decided to dig a box out and start researching some of them a little further. I ran into this 1886 double O Morgan. I know what a VAM is, but that is about all I know. While I'm trying to research I thought I would throw a few pics on here for any of you morgan experts. To get to the questions..Aprox. Grade? What VAM number? Any clue of a rough value?

I know this is all hard to do on the computer, just looking for generals.. I have photograde and stack of other books here. Grading is hard for me to grasp for some reason. I'm guessing ms 60 to 63? I have no clue!:laughing7: I went searching for VAM varieties and came up empty because of my lack of knowledge...

Hopefully my pics will come out ok, I left it in the flip for now, just to get a post.I can post better pics later.. Thanks in advance for any help! I'm still and always learning!

1886 O 002.JPG 1886 O 003.JPG 1886 O 004.JPG 1886 O 005.JPG 1886 O 006.JPG 1886 O 007.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking at pics..I didn't notice there is a lot more doubled than just the O..the whole lower half of the coin. I don't see it in the top though.:icon_scratch: I don't know enough about the minting process to know exactly what caused this.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nitric,

It is somewhat hard to determine the grade of the coin from the pics but I believe the coin to be an MS-60 to possibly MS-61. Also, in essence, the doubling on much of the two-thirds of the Reverse including the Mint mark is flat bed and has the appearance of Machine Doubling. Some would question that statement and say that it is Longacre Doubling but I am pretty sure that they were using Steam powered Minting Presses, so Machine Doubling is not out of the question and I would question more as to it being Longacre Doubling due to the amount of doubling and always on the same side. In any case, I can see no evidence of the coin being a VAM Variety!

Frank

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric,

It is somewhat hard to determine the grade of the coin from the pics but I believe the coin to be an MS-60 to possibly MS-61. Also, in essence, the doubling on much of the two-thirds of the Reverse including the Mint mark is flat bed and has the appearance of Machine Doubling. Some would question that statement and say that it is Longacre Doubling but I am pretty sure that they were using Steam powered Minting Presses, so Machine Doubling is not out of the question and I would question more as to it being Longacre Doubling due to the amount of doubling and always on the same side. In any case, I can see no evidence of the coin being a VAM Variety!

Frank

Thank you!! That would make sense of why I was having such a hard time trying to find it in the VAM examples. It's a nice looking coin with a lot of luster, a lot of light bag marks though. And a few heavier.. It's hard to get a good pic...Ballpark is close enough!

Thanks again!!! Now I have a direction!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread