1859 Indian head cent

UnEarther

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Hello everybody,
My great uncle gave me this 1859 American Indian head cent not too long ago. He's had it wrapped up in a shoe box pretty much since he was a teenager. Now I know you can't give an exact grading from pictures but if someone could give me a rough grade/price of it, that would be so great! I think it's in really good condition... Here's some pictures:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll go out on a limb and say AU-50. That's a nice looking coin!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
agree AU, rough value about $200--consider having it certified, my '59 is not even close---she is aging well

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent coin, I would say at least an Ext.fine condition maybe better. Nice!!!!

OP
OP
U

UnEarther

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys, going to get it certified soon. Happy coin collecting!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, XF and it's been rubbed.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, it is nice XF coin worth under $100.

Consider getting it certified... For what purpose, exactly? You know what the coin is, you know it is authentic, and you know it's history. Getting is slabbed is not going to change anything about this coin. Just continue to enjoy it as it is.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't bother with having it certified either, best case scenario would be an XF or so grade and they may call it cleaned. Nice coin, I would just put it in a holder and protect it.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the first time I've seen a IHC that hasn't spent any time in the ground. I've alway's thought one out of the ground is a beautiful coin, but to see one in that condition, I'm torn on which one is better looking. That is a beautiful coin tho! I guess I like the looks of the one out of the ground. You can feel the age! Very nice coin tho!

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is nice XF coin worth under $100.

Consider getting it certified... For what purpose, exactly? You know what the coin is, you know it is authentic, and you know it's history. Getting is slabbed is not going to change anything about this coin. Just continue to enjoy it as it is.

Nice looking coin, but better pictures would be needed for estimates of condition. To slab or not slab? Choice is up to you. I included Jerseyben's quote above to indicate that there are just as many reasons not to slab as to slab. I have had coins slabbed for preservation purposes and by looking 10-20 years in the future. I may know something is genuine but future admirers/buyers may not. Plus, there's no guessing on the grade or condition.

aj

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice looking coin, but better pictures would be needed for estimates of condition. To slab or not slab? Choice is up to you. I included Jerseyben's quote above to indicate that there are just as many reasons not to slab as to slab. I have had coins slabbed for preservation purposes and by looking 10-20 years in the future. I may know something is genuine but future admirers/buyers may not. Plus, there's no guessing on the grade or condition.

aj

You would pay $40-50 to have a coin slabbed worth under $100?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would if the coin had great sentimental value to me. Does it make great financial sense...no. But he might of had a great relationship with his uncle who gave him the coin.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer little coin. It made it this far without a slab...

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it wrong. People putting together a graded set want to make sure the grade is correct. It also keeps from accidentally spending it. When I found my 16d merc no one would touch it until it was in a slab. With different values assigned to different grades people just don't want to overpay.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tom. Glad to see someone gets it. Try as I may, I just cannot understand the mentality of most coin collectors and their precious pieces of plastic.

As I said, preservation, presentation, and future guarantees. No big deal, though, many of my "slabbers" were found for free from metal detecting!

aj

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread