More efficient ways to store coins?

ThinIce

Dec 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been collecting coins for years, but honestly I haven't invested much into proper storage units for them. I've got a bunch of coins (most part just circulated and basic condition silvers and wheat pennies) among other stuff that I keep within hard plastic separators, while my more value coins (semi key dates, XF, AU quality) within plastic wraps.

I've been told that plastic is not good for these coins, but I've kept them in there for some time and have not seen any degradation. In addition to that, they are wrapped individually and tightly within my plastic separators so they don't actually get damaged with physical contact and are pretty safe from air exposure.

How do people store coins when they amass large quanitities of it? I've acquired a few nice pieces over the months and I don't want them to degrade and lose value. If these plastic things are slowly damaging them, I will look for new and efficient replacements even if it means spending a decent amount of money.

What do you guys suggest? I will try posting pictures eventually.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use the type of folding holders that you staple together, just be careful with the staples and flatten them so they don't poke adjoining coins. You can also buy coin storage tubes to store whole rolls of each denomination. There are also flips, double sided plastic envelopes that you can put a card with info on the coin in the other side. Just make sure to get the ones that don't contain pvc, that is the chemical in some plastics that can damage coins.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto on the staples, they'll rip into the plastic and scratch coins and can leave ugly toning marks. Even see this from coin shop stock. I will use airtights for most expensive coins, 2x2 for things in good shape/key dates, and tubes for most silver coins. If we're talking thousands of coins, I use glass gasket canisters from goodwill. I've got all my wheats and jefferson nickels stored that way. Glass doesn't corrode the coins and it's airtight as well to prevent oxidation. I stay away from all plastic flips

HH
-GC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread