1970 No "S" Dime

KingofCoins

Jan 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have found a 1970 No "S" Dime.
Please let me know, what do ya'll think.
KingofCoins

1970 No-S Front.jpg 1970 No-S Back.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If the dime is not a Proof coin, then it is likely that it was minted at the Philadelphia Mint and would not have a Mint mark. There were several occasions when coins Minted at San Francisco did not bear Mint marks to insure maximum circulation (i.e. that the coins would not be taken out of circulation by collectors) but these would prove almost impossible to identify and they likely have no more value than a Philadelphia Minted coins.

Frank

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, normal dime for circulation.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize you're probably new so here goes. Do you really think you would find 3 rare dimes in pocket change? That should tell you right away there's some confusion on your part.
You've obviously been looking at you tube videos. There are proof sets that all coins are special made in San Francisco. They have a S mint mark. Some of those sets, not all have dimes missing the mint mark.
Now the rest. Philadelphia made dimes in those years had no mint mark. None of them! All dimes with no S will be found in proof sets and will be made with special polished planchets and proof dies. Hope that helps.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
KingofCoins: may I suggest if you can afford to buy one, but get a current edition of the "U S Coins - RED BOOK" (the new edit is avail, or buy last years book). Read through it, will answer most of all your questions as to pricing, grading, history, etc., a must for those seriously into coin collecting & CRH. Good luck & start stacking. HH, DozerD

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KingofCoin, I have a question. Not trying to be rude, but how old are you? You keep posting coins and asking questions, yet you don't reply. Please answer our replies so we can help you figure this out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread