is this a greaser or pmd?

griffith 90

Feb 4, 2017
Montana
Primary Interest:
Other
20170306_180625.jpg 20170306_180639.jpg

i'm still learning about errors so any info would be helpful. found this 1991d in a roll today. Want to know if its a true struck through grease. If it is what is value.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm guessing it is an incomplete laminate of the copper onto the zinc. I guess you could get the same result from heat as PMD, but the color would likely be effected too...

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found a few Zincolns from '83 & newer with the "Colonel Kurtz" look, my guess is massive gas bubbling of the clad layer on both surfaces. bet the bumps collapse when ya' push on 'em

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
IMHO, poorly prepared Zinc planchet which did not allow for good adhesion of the Copper plating thus creating air or gas bubbles underneath. Excessive heat transferred from the Dies to the planchet during the minting process, may have aided the separation.

Frank

OP
OP
G

griffith 90

Feb 4, 2017
Montana
Primary Interest:
Other
IMHO, poorly prepared Zinc planchet which did not allow for good adhesion of the Copper plating thus creating air or gas bubbles underneath. Excessive heat transferred from the Dies to the planchet during the minting process, may have aided the separation.

Frank

would it be worth keeping?

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is when during the minting process they were casting the hot zinc which released fumes, of zinc oxide. This got trapped under the copper plating. So yes, technically it is a mint error. I keep only major examples of this as it doesnt have to much additional value

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is when during the minting process they were casting the hot zinc which released fumes, of zinc oxide. This got trapped under the copper plating. So yes, technically it is a mint error. I keep only major examples of this as it doesnt have to much additional value

Casting the hot zinc? What are you talking about?

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meant when they are heating the planchet for an easy strike

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I meant when they are heating the planchet for an easy strike

They heat the blanks before striking. I once took a tour of the mint as part of an ANA program. There was no heating of the blanks (this was back in about 1980). The heat necessary to make any appreciable change in striking would be extreme (red hot to white hot), and the damage to the finish would require polishing after striking. I can see that being useful in High Relief issues, but for something this low, very doubtful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread