Recently putchased these at face value, any value here?

Boomerboom

Jun 29, 2017
Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two georgetowns are 1964 canoe 1965 1980 50 cents 1964 1978
These coins are in near mint condition despite what picture shows doesn't need a polish just wiped off with a wet paper towel as it's just some kind of funk on the coins. IMG_0735.JPG IMG_0737.JPG

Last edited:

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Those should all be silver and worth quite a bit more than face value. I also would not wipe them with a paper towel. There is no chance it improves value and there are lots of cases where it hurts.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
80% silver, except for the '78

OP
OP
B

Boomerboom

Jun 29, 2017
Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome guys thanks so much for the quick replies! Seems like I made a good decision for once haha

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'80 dollar & '78 half are 100% nickel, 80% on the silvers . coinsandcanada.com will show grade & value for all with errors & varieties for each.
at face ----you done GOOD

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't the the '80 dollar - Yep, nickel....

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yepper, contrary to what you may think, you don't "polish" coins. It ruins their value.

OP
OP
B

Boomerboom

Jun 29, 2017
Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yepper, contrary to what you may think, you don't "polish" coins. It ruins their value.
didn't mean to actually polish I remember the coins from when I was younger they were immaculate...just so happened was garage sale hunting and happened to be a old friend from high school
Was thinking a lot of what's on there is tobacco tar and could just with water and paper towel get the gunk out of the corners while being very gentle not to scratch/ding the coin.
So no to even doing that little?

Thanks for the help

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
didn't mean to actually polish I remember the coins from when I was younger they were immaculate...just so happened was garage sale hunting and happened to be a old friend from high school
Was thinking a lot of what's on there is tobacco tar and could just with water and paper towel get the gunk out of the corners while being very gentle not to scratch/ding the coin.
So no to even doing that little?

Thanks for the help

No to doing that little. Best bet is a soak in acetone. Soak a toothpick in distilled water. That will soften the wood to prevent scratching. Rinse with distilled water and pat dry. No rubbing! Some people will say this is extreme, but why make a coin grade lower than it already is?

OP
OP
B

Boomerboom

Jun 29, 2017
Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No to doing that little. Best bet is a soak in acetone. Soak a toothpick in distilled water. That will soften the wood to prevent scratching. Rinse with distilled water and pat dry. No rubbing! Some people will say this is extreme, but why make a coin grade lower than it already is?

Okay awesome thank you that's what I will do. Appreciate the help

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread