Rubber band burn?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I got this 1893 CC Morgan dollar as part of a large lot. My best guess is that the discoloration on the obverse is due to rubber band burn.

Anybody got a better theory? Regardless, how much should this affect value?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501799488.613458.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501799505.293038.jpg

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to me like someone used tape to keep it from falling out of their coin book a long time ago and the residue was cleaned off. Just an idea.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe that it was from a rubber band as I have owned coins that had the same ugly gray toning due to them being in a stack of coins that were held together with a rubber band. When tape is used, there is no toning where the tape touched the coin but the coin toned everywhere else.

Frank

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I believe that it was from a rubber band as I have owned coins that had the same ugly gray toning due to them being in a stack of coins that were held together with a rubber band. When tape is used, there is no toning where the tape touched the coin but the coin toned everywhere else.

Frank

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. When I prepared my bid, I estimated it's value at $50, so I figure worst case I'm not going to be out money.

Thanks for the responses!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions