Odd wear on penny...

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know these types of questions get asked all the time here and it probably drives you guys crazy. So let me contribute. Found this penny in my usual order. It’s a 1999 but you can barely see the last 9.. some odd wear on the back also. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508776113.069199.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508776134.704631.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen this before on other Cents and believe it is some kind of damage. However, you may be better served by posing a question to Mike Diamond at [email protected] as to the cause! It would be best to have better close-up pics to send him or crop the ones you already have which should increase to zoom somewhat.

Frank

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
close & NO flash, flat angle & NATURAL light.

seen those with the "saucer" look on the obverse. maybe strike force is cause :dontknow:???

[email protected] will know :icon_thumright:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
They have the appearance of being sanded but since this is a problem or phenomena that occurs on more than just a few Cents, the cause is definitely something more than idle hands. Although I am probably wrong, I think it is possible that the cause is due to a new type of Coin Rolling Machine.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The cent that you have is a grease filled die, both obverse and reverse. This is not damage or man-made. I like it, nice find!

HH all!

Greg

Enlighten me as to how a coin that has the appearance and lines like it was sanded only in one direction, could possibly be from a grease filled Die?

Frank

OP
OP
B

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! Hope it is the real deal, here are some more photos without flash.. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508877444.775860.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508877475.728598.jpg

Last edited:

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Frank, This is not feeder finger damage or damage from a coin rolling machine, it is a grease filled die/struck through grease....please see an additional example below, just one of hundreds you can find online.

Couple things to ask yourself: Where did the tops of the letters E C E, part of E Pluribus Unum and the last number 9 go??......scraped off by a feeder finger, coin rolling machine or sanded off? ........no, because remember the core of this coin is zinc and if any of these scenarios happened you would quite easily see the silver-ish zinc core because the copper layer would be stripped off.......

The tops of the letters E C E, part of E Pluribus Unum and the last number 9 were clogged with grease and when the die struck the planchet it did not "bring up" these random elements of the design leaving exactly what the OP has.....a nice Lincoln Memorial Cent that was struck with a grease filled die.

HH all!

Greg

OP
OP
B

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That link is not working.. I’m afraid it will have to wait.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a good site to see the value of coin errors should we come upon them metal detecting

Enjoy

https://www.fredweinberg.com

45068F99-9A13-4A6E-8E1A-E4E16DFB00CE.jpeg

This one is worth $2800

1999 Lincoln Cent Dual Date-Double Denomination

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm of the belief this is struck through grease. The difference in look I believe comes from extra tiny bits of metal in the "grease". That's what mostly makes up the concoction anyway.

OP
OP
B

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright, thanks all. Yes Frank, I was having trouble with the link, it kept saying “ Link not valid.”

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright, thanks all. Yes Frank, I was having trouble with the link, it kept saying “ Link not valid.”

I still do not know what link!! The link to send an email to Mike Diamond or the link to the Google Search for coins showing Feeder Damage?? If the latter, I have downloaded the pics of a 2003-P Arkansas Quarter that suffered damage to the coin and to the Die as well.

Frank

2003P Arkansas Quarter Feeder Damage 1.jpg 2003P Arkansas Quarter Feeder Damage 2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread