l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These aren't cuds, cuds are from a break on the edge of the die, so they are only on the edge of the coin. These could be small die chips.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YUP, CUDS are highly prized & value can be into the thousands times face.
cudsoncoins.com has a nice database with photos.

look at my post today in CRH forum for a nice '84 Zincoln with a big 'un that's not listed in the website--- so rarity will hopefully make it worth more :dontknow:

the new issue "ELLIS ISLAND" qtr is infected with an "internal die break" on the elbow----

study & ye shall be huntin' lucratively in no time 8-)

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cud is when the outer edge of the die breaks away and leaves a void.

OP
OP
Rocsteddie

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
my bad. what are coins with these imperfections called? CRUDS maybe. Ha Ha

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
A die chip occurs when any portion of a die is chipped off through use. This could be minor, and barely visible, to multiple chips that are more than obvious to the unaided eye.

A die crack is when any portion of a die is cracked. This can be anywhere from barely visible to the entire diameter of the coin. Multiple die cracks are also possible.

A cud is a specific type of die break where part of the die, which includes a portion of the edge, has broken off, leaving a void. A cud could start as a chip or as a crack.

The portion of the die that breaks off ends up as a tiny piece of refuse on the workroom floor until someone sweeps. It could also end up in a hopper with minted coins. Either way, the broken bit of the die ends up as refuse.

I would suggest that you learn everything you can on the subject of manufacturing coins. By knowing every aspect of this process, it will become easier to recognize errors. It will also be easier to recognize post mint damage.

Last coffee of the day almost gone. There is always tomorrow.

OP
OP
Rocsteddie

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I defiantly have a better idea as to I d and what to look for. I am not a collector per say but enjoy the hobby. Thanks everyone for all the insight.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I defiantly have a better idea as to I d and what to look for. I am not a collector per say but enjoy the hobby. Thanks everyone for all the insight.

error-ref.com details the process and the multitude of errors that are possible.

here is what 33 years of peeps who are not looking at coins can provide towards that yacht you been wantin'

IMG_6888.JPG IMG_6891.JPG

found this week in a Loomis roll

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To add to the knowledge, an area in the inner part of the die that's bigger than a chip is called an interior die break.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To add to the knowledge, an area in the inner part of the die that's bigger than a chip is called an interior die break.

a bigYUP on Enamels bit O' advice :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

got 2 of 'em on the "Ellis Island" so far, plus a "snow on the roof" Homestead & 3 AZ. "extra cactus" (2 varieties on that) below saguaru covering initials :hello2:

OP
OP
Rocsteddie

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
A die chip occurs when any portion of a die is chipped off through use. This could be minor, and barely visible, to multiple chips that are more than obvious to the unaided eye.

A die crack is when any portion of a die is cracked. This can be anywhere from barely visible to the entire diameter of the coin. Multiple die cracks are also possible.

A cud is a specific type of die break where part of the die, which includes a portion of the edge, has broken off, leaving a void. A cud could start as a chip or as a crack.

The portion of the die that breaks off ends up as a tiny piece of refuse on the workroom floor until someone sweeps. It could also end up in a hopper with minted coins. Either way, the broken bit of the die ends up as refuse.

I would suggest that you learn everything you can on the subject of manufacturing coins. By knowing every aspect of this process, it will become easier to recognize errors. It will also be easier to recognize post mint damage.

Last coffee of the day almost gone. There is always tomorrow.

Tomorrow is here. Thanks the info. Has there ever been a coin found with a die chip or break embedded in it from the next die strike if it happens to land on the die somehow instead on the floor?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread