Date damage figured out I think ,on a wheat penny.

OP
OP
Rocsteddie

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Took me a while but I believe it's a 1952 judging by the lower part of the 5. Cool damage IMO. Dang I turned pics so they would be right side up So much for that. Sorry. Double Dang!
Agree or disagree? Just for curiosity and closure. View attachment 1533151 View attachment 1533152 View attachment 1533153

Unfuturnely there are members that don't know and when asked for specifics I get no response. I guess I will take to others who are more reliable.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think there is anything it could be except a 5.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my opinion but I think it is just damaged. It looks like there may be a hit in the center of the number that pushed the metal out of place. I Don't know of any error that would make it look like that.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a grease drop, whatever that is and not a die deformity. If it were a damaged die then every coin would have it that was made from that die. Stop over thinking this coin. That is a coin that took a hit to the number, probably many years ago. Copper is soft and can be displaced easily. Chances are it was on the end of a roll at one time and the crimper hit th number and pushed it over.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope that was specific enough. I suggest you study the minting process and that will help you understand the difference between damage and an error. You can wish otherwise, but this is just a damaged coin.

OP
OP
Rocsteddie

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Not a grease drop, whatever that is and not a die deformity. If it were a damaged die then every coin would have it that was made from that die. Stop over thinking this coin. That is a coin that took a hit to the number, probably many years ago. Copper is soft and can be displaced easily. Chances are it was on the end of a roll at one time and the crimper hit th number and pushed it over.

Thanks enamel7. Just wishful thinking on my part and I agree with your explanation. Back in the jar of wheats you go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread