Dealer Etiquette?

Chet-Lemon

Feb 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure how to proceed in this situation.... looking to tap the minds of the coin gods here for any advice.

I recently inherited a coin collection as the result of an estate settlement. I did some basic research to educate myself on the collection, and last Fall I took several of the coins to a local dealer to thin out the collection.
At that time, the dealer purchased several of the coins I brought in, and made me an offer of $2200 for an 1893-S Morgan that I also had brought in that day. Mind you the dealer took his time and looked over all the coins I had, including the Morgan, before making me any offers. I was very honest and up front that this collection was an inheritance, I knew nothing about the coins, and that I trusted the opinion of the dealer to also be fair an honest. He advised me that if I didn't want to sell the Morgan, I should send it in for grading (he had concerns that it might have been cleaned). I sold the dealer several coins that day, but I did not sell the Morgan at that time.

A few months later in mid-December, I had decided that I was ready to part with the Morgan. I never did explore getting it graded. I went back to the same dealer, who remembered me from before. He took his time looking over the Morgan again, doing his due diligence. He said the offer of $2200 still stood, so I parted with the coin.

Fast forward to a week ago, where I receive a letter in the mail from that dealer. He had written to let me know that he sent the Morgan to PCGS for grading, and they had determined it has an altered mint mark and "is therefore nearly worthless." The dealer is "hoping I do the right thing and return the $2200."

I don't think I have any legal obligation to reverse the sale, but I'm looking for opinions. ???

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He looked at it TWICE... any issues with it, are his problem and his baby. He looked it over not once, but twice, even went as fas as to say it may have been cleaned... and he bought it anyway, it's his.

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah thats a rough one, not sure what I would do.

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Easy, flee the country and never look back!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when it comes to dealers especially, he should have done his due diligence at the beginning.
he's supposed to be the pro. at least compared to you.

I say his loss (education)

as long as you know you didn't alter it.
and he had time to inspect it.
and there was no agreement to give him a 2nd. chance.

Move on & find a new dealer for the future.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, the dealer did his due diligence inspecting the coin twice, and was honest with you by keeping his offer the same.

Neither of you are guilty.

It's all about what your own conscience will accept. I personally would refund his money and would walk away with my integrity intact.

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did YOU alter the date on the coin OP? Did you try to get over on the dealer in any way shape or form? If not, then your integrity is in tact, don't stress that!!!

OP
OP
C

Chet-Lemon

Feb 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the continued input, but I have issues with simply handing him $2200 to fulfill a moral obligation.
In the first place, the coin was sold to cover some expenses, so the cash is long gone.
Also, how will I even know that the coin he returns to me is the coin I sold him? I have to take him on his word for that I suppose.

However I am able to continue to bring him business, and have other items that I had planned to bring in and sell that I would be willing to give him a better deal on moving forward to help him recoup some of the loss.
This dealer seems like a young, decent business owner but I don't feel that I should be blindly reversing the sale just because it didn't turn out the way he expected.

*An no, I did not alter the coin in any way. Everything I brought to him was still sealed up in individual coin cases - just as they were when we received the collection. I was very up front with him about what I had and what little I knew about it.

Last edited:

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He looked at it TWICE... any issues with it, are his problem and his baby. He looked it over not once, but twice, even went as fas as to say it may have been cleaned... and he bought it anyway, it's his.

I would have to say "he owns it" You admitted you didn't know anything about the coins, you gave him 2 chances to opt out, so In my opinion you did nothing morally or ethically wrong. One word of advise going forward is always get a couple different appraisers to find the value of something. I had my entire baseball card collection I wanted to sell one time and the "dealer" offered my $20 for a couple of my cards. I took the collection to 2 other dealers and both said the same cards was worth over $250.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was reading the story expecting a different ending, the usual, you uneducated seller getting screwed by shady dealer. I agree with most others, his problem. If you sold it yesterday, if you still had the money, if you had detailed photos to prove same coin, if, if, if... You seem to have been as upfront as possible, sucks for both parties involved, but I would try not to sweat it. And I would no go back to him making deals on other coins. So sorry, find a new guy and move on.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
If it came back as uncleaned and higher grade than expected, and the dealer sold it for $15k, would he offer you a slice because he under paid for it? I see no ethical question at all here. Dealers price their buys by factoring in risk. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, no hard feelings either way.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If it came back as uncleaned and higher grade than expected, and the dealer sold it for $15k, would he offer you a slice because he under paid for it? I see no ethical question at all here. Dealers price their buys by factoring in risk. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, no hard feelings either way.

Exactly. Dealer bought coin HOPING to make a profit. Way it goes...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trolls comment deleted and troll banned.

TwistedT

Nov 15, 2014
Westmoreland County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher F5,
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its his problem now.
he is the coin dealer, the supposed "expert".
he had 2 opportunities to look it over and didnt see any problems.
Its on him - you have a clear conscience on this.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is his problem and not yours. Next time, get your coins graded for a better price.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually find it odd that the dealer went out of his way to send you a letter. Seems to me like the dealer is the inexperienced one in this situation. Like others have said, I wouldn't have this weigh on your conscience or your integrity. I am sure he has already made back his $2200 by bumping up the prices on some of his items or by getting better deals on other people that have sold to him. Its part of the business model, win some and lose some. I think that its very shady of him to contact you after the fact with that letter. If it were me, at minimum the next time you were to walk into my shop I would be wary of the coins you were selling. I would then tell you that a previous coin you sold was not what I believed it to be and that if I were to buy more from you I would need to have someone else (business partner/colleague) check the coins after I looked at them OR if you were looking to sell another high value coin that we would setup some sort of agreement or proxy where once the coin was verified then I would pay the full price agreed upon.

Don't sweet this one and as others have said if you are still uncomfortable sell to another dealer.

-TwoYewts

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This exactly

OP
OP
C

Chet-Lemon

Feb 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't want the next letter he sends my way to be an invitation to small-claims court if I don't agree to his refund request (which I have no intention of granting).
Perhaps I should just move...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I just don't want the next letter he sends my way to be an invitation to small-claims court if I don't agree to his refund request (which I have no intention of granting).
Perhaps I should just move...

A strange deal all around , but he bought it.
Should have had it graded first....( and better you do that with a reputable company to cover your own backside as to actual grade and value) but he had hopes of turning a profit....
How would he prove in court that it was your coin that was graded/ found altered?
Or more, prove that your intent was to defraud him?

I feel for the guy if he is being truthful ,but his goal is to turn a greater profit . A gamble did not pay off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread