It just don't feel right. I hate to throw them away.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A penny for your thoughts! For some reason i just can't let these unique one of a kind pennies go into the trash. Do you think a bank will take them off my hands? Maybe i can sell them on ebay or etsy to some starving artist.

What do you do with your NOT SO PERFECT coins?

FullSizeRender.jpg

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I throw eaten up zincolns right in my trash pouch. No bank I've ever tried has taken them. Even the not-so-bad ones.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Somehow we need to get these to the government. If we could seriously make a nuisance with them to someone in charge, maybe we could get them to quit wasting our tax money on zinc cents. Quit making cents altogether like Canada. How about an offer to buy copper cents from the public for, say 3 or 4 cents each. They spend more than that making new ones.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use them to seed previously pounded sites that stopped producing. The next generation of MDers will need something to keep them occupied...:tongue3:

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK i know what to do with my zink pennies! I just did a search on Ebay for damaged penny and some guy is selling his 1984 penny complete with corrosion for 332.00 bucks! Its on sale from 350.00

I also found another one listed for 2 bucks! I suspect the lesser of the two pennies has cheaper corrosion?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
self roll and turn in for the cash value?

Yep, roll them up with some more decent ones on each end and turn them into the Bank. It is unlikely that they will ever come back on you for turning them in as they are legal coins as long as there are fifty 1 Cent coins in each roll. It is likely that they will be turned in to the U.S. Treasury or whichever Federal Government entity that is responsible for accepting and accounting for damaged coins by the service who services the Bank (i.e. Brinks, Loomis, etc.).

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had a couple hundred of those..took them out to the woods, dug a hole
about a foot deep and dumped them in.

Basically, I gave them back to nature.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First I tumble them. Then I sell them as "Seed Money." They are $4.99 each, or three for $10.00. You plant them in your garden, and your money will grow. :thumbsup:

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They go into my pouch along with the pull tabs, .22 cartridge cases, pieces of wire, can slaw and any other scrap metal. After my hunt they get emptied into the plastic shopping bag in my trunk along with other previously dug scrap, when full set out for the trash man.

The comment of seeding them for future generations of detectorists is funny as they would self destruct long before the happy hunter could find them.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had about sixty of those at the end of 2017. Was gonna toss them, but my Daughter wanted to run them through her Coinstar. It took about half of them. 😱

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread