Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this a few years ago with crappy pics. So I thought I would get some opinions on this with better pics.

I was debating getting it slabbed but not sure if it’s worth it.

I’ve never seen a dbl dated coin so this could be totally common.

6E6CBE8B-2B5B-4778-B394-6FAAB9394EE0.jpeg A7248A46-F1A9-41BE-A05F-DEAD7454C6DA.jpeg 1F4AF617-3954-486A-A6A4-87E44B2A7AEE.jpeg

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin! I’m not an expert and I can’t see any other doubling near the letters, beak, or claws like this one: 1858 1C DDO FS-101 S-2 (005.5) (Regular Strike) - PCGS CoinFacts

It seems to have the same rim issues on the reverse as the one that I posted. Still an awesome coin. Can’t wait to hear from some others.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Really nice coin. Do you have access to a scanner? While the photos are good enough for the date, there are other elements that are out of focus. The date is evident. I also see doubling in the UN, the gap between the beak, and the last letters of America. But the photo's focus isn't clear enough around the legend. If the doubling can be confirmed in the legend, then it is likely a doubled die. If there is no doubling on the other elements, then you likely have an overdate. While many collectors fall back on PCGS as the authority, one needs to understand that TPGs don't recognize every single die variety. ANACS has the most complete recognition but the variety still needs to be confirmed by CONECA. When it comes to Flying Eagle and Indian Head cent varieties, I like to use https://indianvarieties.com/ . You might want to send photos to Russ to get his opinion.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
There is an identical specimen posted on Collectors Universe (don't think I can post the link as it is a competing site with TNET) in December 2010 that the doubling has been determined to be Strike or Machine Doubling. If it were not for that, my assessment would be a (RPD) Repunched Date as there does not seem to be any metal loss on the Date digits which one would expect to see with Strike/Machine Doubling.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!! I'm no help, that stuff is above and beyond what I ever got into in coins. I just moved volume in low grade stuff......But I love that coin!!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Super nice coin, if not graded, at least get it into a 2x2 flip. How did you find it?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
There is an identical specimen posted on Collectors Universe (don't think I can post the link as it is a competing site with TNET) in December 2010 that the doubling has been determined to be Strike or Machine Doubling. If it were not for that, my assessment would be a (RPD) Repunched Date as there does not seem to be any metal loss on the Date digits which one would expect to see with Strike/Machine Doubling.

Huntsman - go ahead and post the link. It isn't as if you personally are encouraging TNet members from leaving the site. You are just trying to help. If it runs afoul of TNet's policy, then the admins will have the ability to modify your post and remove a link.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huntsman - go ahead and post the link. It isn't as if you personally are encouraging TNet members from leaving the site. You are just trying to help. If it runs afoul of TNet's policy, then the admins will have the ability to modify your post and remove a link.
Thank you!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Huntsman for providing the link.

I am glad to help as the doubling on the Date of Diggin-N-Dumps' coin has intrigued me since it was posted! I spent a lot of time analyzing what could have caused the doubling on the Date but did not cause any significant doubling on the rest of the Obverse. While there is minor doubling mainly on the Eagle's beak and the "U" in UNITED, these are of no real consequence except to help point to the cause. If you notice, the underlying flat doubling is slightly rotated (shifted) to the Southwest and that the tops of the Digits are beveled. Also, the Obverse rim is thinner to the South and Southwest compared to rest of the rim. I believe that this was due to the loose Obverse Die not only shifting but also tilting when the second (offending) Strike occurred. Since we know that there is more than one "Large Date" Variety 1858 Flying Eagle Cent with this doubling, one has to wonder how many more are out there that were produced when this specific Obverse Die was loose. Also, through searching, I found that problem was not just limited to the "Large Date" Variety but is also seen on some "Small Date" Variety Flying Eagle Cents, so the Mint must have had some major problems keeping the Obverse Dies anchored. Now, if anyone has a differing opinion, I hope they will post it to this Thread as I believe we all learn from differing takes on the same items.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's in amazing condition even without the error. Just something that I've never seen a lot of in that condition. I don't have a ton of experience, but have gone through a lot of collections and I haven't seen too many that looked that sharp and unworn.

My best one that I kept, still has a little small flat on the high spots of the eagle.

I keep coming back to look at the pics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for getting me in the right direction. I actually got this coin on a trade from a fellow TNET member awhile back . He traded me this and a couple hard times tokens for a 2 silver dollars. And at that time they were worth about 25 each. But he said he wanted to give them to his kids and he had these coins for awhile with no knowledge of them.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for getting me in the right direction. I actually got this coin on a trade from a fellow TNET member awhile back . He traded me this and a couple hard times tokens for a 2 silver dollars. And at that time they were worth about 25 each. But he said he wanted to give them to his kids and he had these coins for awhile with no knowledge of them.

I love the hard times tokens. I manged to keep that collection. I think you did awesome in that trade.:laughing7: I would be thrilled if I owned that coin!! The eagles are just so cool. cool design. I manged to keep my Indian collection too. I don't have the 77 anymore it was sold off...Indians and flying eagles have to be my favorites.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting coin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread