I found this in my late father's coin collection

Thunderbolt

Feb 28, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's obviously very worn. The other side completely smooth. With what little there is to go on, any one have an idea as to what this is?

20181111_005759.jpg

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an old Swedish 1 ore coin. Sometime in the 18th century most likely. In this condition I can't really tell much more.

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could be a 1-3 Pfennig German States Coin from the 19th century up to 1870. Prissia, Hesse, Saxony would be most likely. These did look all very similar save for teh coat of arms.

Greets Namxat

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Side note: It didn't become worn due to circulation. These are commonly called Pocket Pieces or Worry Coins. It was common at the time that men were told that so long as they have silver in their pocket, they will never be broke. These pieces would be pocketed everyday as if it was part of their morning ritual in getting dressed. The rubbing of the coin over years and decades would wear them smooth.

A piece such as yours would be priceless as it was likely your grandfather's pocket piece that your father kept. Hold on to it and hopefully, you can pass it on to your son.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I too have a pocket piece, or a WORRY COIN as I called it, an 1848 Large Cent, it's wearing smooth ever since my dad & I picked it up at a coin show back in the 60's. Normally got it out at funerals, weddings, etc., now I'll be giving it to my oldest grandson to pass it on.

OP
OP
T

Thunderbolt

Feb 28, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. My family hasn't been good at keeping up with our history so to learn it was a "pocket piece" is neat. I am honored to have it. While I wish dad had told me about it, I bet you are right, it was likely my grandfathers on his side. He died before I was born and was in WW1 as I recall being told.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread