Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"[FONT=&quot]The Greysheet publisher sells the newsletter by subscription, but you can also buy a sample issue for about $40 that includes all wholesale pricing for virtually every coin minted by the United States Mint."
More info here: [/FONT]
https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/coin-dealer-newsletter-768340
[FONT=&quot]Don......

[/FONT]

OP
OP
H

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just really didn’t think it was worth the $40 since I am not actively buying I’m more just trying to get baselines.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have a good relationship with your Local Coin Dealer, they will sometimes give you old copies of the Grey Sheets they have, if they kept them. Mine does whenever I ask. I really don't like the Grey Sheets because it is Coin Dealer's guide to buy and sell which is based more on input from Coin Dealers as to what they want to pay for coins or sell coins for and they do not always take into account most of the actual Coin Market variables (prices realized from the many selling venues, some precious metal fluctuations and even the many Price Guides available). While Coin World's "Coin Values" Guide, PCGS' Price Guide, NGC's Price Guide, Numismedia.com, eBay's Sold Prices and others may give somewhat close pricing on certain coins, the Grey Sheets can be way out in left or right field in comparison.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My local shop doesn’t actually use grey sheets. They have a book that they have prices in. Such as .02 for a wheat. .25 for an Indian. 5-10 for a flying eagle. They then use the red book for things like Ike’s. And a paper currency book for bills.

OP
OP
H

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is I don’t want to know what they sell for per say, but what dealers pay for them, and I can’t afford to drop $40 on the grey sheet

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you can sell your coins for is what they go for at ebay or even in Facebook groups. I am a full time coin dealer and sell at shows, ebay, Facebook and from my physical shop. I use the grey sheet to buy and most dealers try to buy for less than Greysheet. It happens dealer to dealer at ALL the shows ALL the time. I go to at least two a month.

Anyway. If you sell at ebay you must also consider the work involved in selling and the fees associated with selling there. If you're hoping to sell in person locally then you can save some money selling.

You can usually determine grey sheet by taking 30% off a price guide price. So if a coin is listed at $10 on the PCGS price guide then it will have an approximate grey sheet value of $7.

Coin World Coin Values, The Red Book, PCGS and NGC price guides are suggested retail and not the actual value of a particular coin in a particular grade. A choice can can even sell for more, but most coins can be bought cheaper than the price guides, even from the dealers that contribute these prices to these price guides.

I do know this first hand.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give or take. I have to do the math when I am st shows or preparing for the shows and that is a close approximate. Obviously ugly coins will sell for less and choice coins for more. Problem coins are a problem to get rid of and can be as much as 50% less from their listed value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread