Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not familiar with this "coin" but it is not a US Mint product. There are private mints like the "Franklin Mint" etc that produce medals that some people call coins. They are mass marketed at huge premiums to their actual silver content, if any, to the non-informed, not to real coin collectors. IMO, a waste of money.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it a bullion type item, not a US mint coin. I have seen the ads also.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
There have been several private mint issues over the years. All are overpriced, or are plated base metal, depending on origin.

The US Mint almost produced Morgan Dollars in the ‘60’s. I do not recall the year, but it may have been 1964. Hubs and dies were produced with both Morgan and Peace Dollar designs. I honestly do not recall which coin publication I read it in, but that may be where the various private mints got their ideas from.

Time for more coffee.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This would be, at best, a fantasy coin.

There were 316,076 1964-D Peace dollars struck. They were supposed to all be melted and none released. None have surfaced. If any do, they will likely be seized by the U.S. government, much like the 1933 St. Gauden's $20's.

Scott

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
There have been several private mint issues over the years. All are overpriced, or are plated base metal, depending on origin.

The US Mint almost produced Morgan Dollars in the ‘60’s. I do not recall the year, but it may have been 1964. Hubs and dies were produced with both Morgan and Peace Dollar designs. I honestly do not recall which coin publication I read it in, but that may be where the various private mints got their ideas from.

Time for more coffee.

They actually did produce 1964 Peace Dollars, and then they melted them all down. I do not believe any survived.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/1964-d-peace-dollars-do-they-really-exist

I love coins like this. The Aluminum cent. The 1894 S dime. The 1804 dollar. MOST of the 19th century pattern coins came from a trunk of coins traded by the mint for 2 examples of the 1877 $50 gold coins.

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
a lot of the islands in the Pacific and Caribbean issue coins for all sorts of "commemoritive" purposes. they are not actually minted on those islands but struck in various private mints, with the island govenment authority, as non-circulating collectors coins. they pretty much have bullion value and that is all.... remember the collector plates and figurines your mother used to collect?...same thing....consider them beenie babys....

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Saw it too. Then click.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread