Toned coins set?

DanFromOhio

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2019
Buckeye State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all

So I am wondering about starting a set/series/collection of solely toned coins.
Not sure yet what type to attempt, was considering possibly relatively modern cents, dimes, nickels etc. I don't want to invest huge amounts of money so probably not morgans or anything that gets up there for the real stunning toners.

I really find the toned colorful coins amazing, and thought it would be fantastic to have a complete album or folder of this type.

Was wondering about any recommendations anyone might have. I am sure some collectors on here have this type of collection?

How difficult would this be to accomplish? Obviously that will depend on the series, but are there certain types that tend to "tone" easier?

Couple questions:
What types are relatively inexpensive yet tend to have great colors?
Would a toned series (say roosevelt dimes - 1965-2018) have any more value than a standard set of mostly UNC? Or does that just depend on the collector and their taste?

I would be glad for any input!
Cheers
DFO

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, a lot of toned coins were made by placing them in a container with a mashed hard boiled egg.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, a lot of toned coins were made by placing them in a container with a mashed hard boiled egg.

True but not all. I have seen many coins that were kept in hot cars too long and too many times by Coin Dealers while making the Coin Show circuits that came out with anywhere from downright ugly toning to drop dead beautiful toning.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all

So I am wondering about starting a set/series/collection of solely toned coins.
Not sure yet what type to attempt, was considering possibly relatively modern cents, dimes, nickels etc. I don't want to invest huge amounts of money so probably not morgans or anything that gets up there for the real stunning toners.

I really find the toned colorful coins amazing, and thought it would be fantastic to have a complete album or folder of this type.

Was wondering about any recommendations anyone might have. I am sure some collectors on here have this type of collection?

How difficult would this be to accomplish? Obviously that will depend on the series, but are there certain types that tend to "tone" easier?

Couple questions:
What types are relatively inexpensive yet tend to have great colors?
Would a toned series (say roosevelt dimes - 1965-2018) have any more value than a standard set of mostly UNC? Or does that just depend on the collector and their taste?

I would be glad for any input!
Cheers
DFO

I would suggest searching through Proof Sets at local Coin Shops and at Coin Shows. Many Proof Sets are way under-valued and priced accordingly and some have toned coins in them. I have seen some Proof Sets with coins that had really beautiful toning and the sets were not priced for their toned coins.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line is that lots of people love nicely toned coins. Lots of competition means higher prices.
There is toning and then there is "TONING". Some of those Morgans out there are really WOW!
IMHO I don't believe it's possible to complete any set of coins that are toned (unless someone is willing to create the toning process for sets!)

I'm probably out in left field but personally I think toning can be superficially applied to the surface of a coin with a substance (iridescence caused by soap etc) and it can be the result of pressure/heat and a chemical reaction on a more molecular level. I haven't had the toned coins or inclination (if I had some) to test this theory though, for fear of ruining them.:censored:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread