Has anybody found any penny errors in coin rollng or change?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends what you mean by valuable. I find varieties quite often. Errors are harder to find. Most errors aren't valued very high. Do you have an example you're curious about?

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99 WAM sold for $115
84 Dbl ear sold $100
84 CUD sold $50
83 CUD sold $25
and a bunch of blanks, o/c's, clashes, greasers, lams, IDB's, cracks, clips sold for $1 to $10 each---- howdat for an answer:laughing9:

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely! Especially during these long winter cold snaps, I like to get $25 cent roll boxes from the bank and go through them. There are usually a decent amount of wheat cents per box plus a few Indians and foreign coins. I find a few errors and die varieties as well, mostly the "common" die varieties like minor doubled dies. I have found a few WAM's and a 1995 DDO before. I recommend getting the recent version of The Cherry Picker's Guide and studying Wexler's webpage and writings to learn more about cent errors and die varieties.

It is also fun to buy bulk bags of wheat cents and check them for die varieties and errors! Good luck, and happy cherry picking.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99 WAM still have it, some 98 WAM's still have them, 1972 DDO's found several in change, more in bags.

Also a few clips, not worth much.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
found a handful of pennies with a blank reverse in one roll one time.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Memorial cent 1972 DDO 4, in pocket change was my best ever, a roatated nickel I sold for $35, and many State quarters with cracked dies, Spitting Horse, and etc., that brought several $1 apiece. Always checking my change and spend paper cash for small purchase just to check out some coins from my change back.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a few....I use to save all copper cents. Then at one point I got tired of moving them around. So I went through them and sold them. The best error I found in that mess was a 72 with the doubled liberty, and I think you can see it good in the 7 and 2 ...I can't get to it right now and my memory stinks...But for some reason $150 to $200 sticks in my mind and it's one of the 72 varieties.

There was one in the 60's too that I was excited about at the time...but I can't even tell you what that was. a 68? i can't remember...

I'll bet I let a lot of them loose to circulation before I started dumping them into 5 gal buckets. I was thrown into a coin type business and was buying collections for the silver and gold. We had no real clue what we were doing, just flipping metal. When we first started we were sending all the change that we didn't think had value to the bank. At that time I didn't even know about 40% halves...haha I can't imagine what may have been in those collections. The further along we went we started saving everything and checking it fast., but I'm sure we still missed stuff because of the volume that we were doing. There is no doubt that this stuff could be found in pocket change...For a few reasons. another is some people just don't care, it's not their interest.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you found those then they have been tampered with after they left the mint.

I did find one...no front or back and has a rim. If I remember right...it weighs out for a copper cent. We never looked into it and I just threw it in a save box. I'm sure it has no value...just an interesting piece and I don't know enough about the process to know how it has a nice crisp rim but nothing stamped front or back....For all I know it may not even be a cent and just happened to have the weight and look of a rim.:dontknow:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Found two lesser of the 1972-P "DDO" Lincoln Cents and a 1955-P "DDO #1" Lincoln Wheat Cent in change from the PX and/or American Express in Germany while I was stationed there. I also found literally hundreds of DDO, DDR and RPM Varieties and Error coins over the years, most of which I sold in 2007 when I sold off my' coin collection which consisted of well over 15,000 Error and Variety coins.

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find one...no front or back and has a rim. If I remember right...it weighs out for a copper cent. We never looked into it and I just threw it in a save box. I'm sure it has no value...just an interesting piece and I don't know enough about the process to know how it has a nice crisp rim but nothing stamped front or back....For all I know it may not even be a cent and just happened to have the weight and look of a rim.:dontknow:

blank planchet, value 3 bucks if the surface is AU condition & red to red brown, less if it's got scratches

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You said blank on one side. The rims are milled onto the planchette before it's struck.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said blank on one side. The rims are milled onto the planchette before it's struck.

No..There was another guy that said he had some on one side(Unclemac)......I just jumped in because it reminded me of the one I had( forgot about it until I saw that post) that was blank on both...Nevermind me....haha :laughing7:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
blank planchet, or coin blank. There are two types: one which has been freshly cut in the blanking press (Type One), and one which has slightly raised rims after going through a softening process (Type Two). They simply slipped by the striking presses. These are the most common type of error.

GA Stephanie

Feb 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a wheat penny, but I just found a 2015 rotated reverse penny in pocket change. (Took the picture with my phone real quick, so it's not the best. Sorry!) Rotated2015Penny.jpg

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
99 WAM sold for $115
84 Dbl ear sold $100
84 CUD sold $50
83 CUD sold $25
and a bunch of blanks, o/c's, clashes, greasers, lams, IDB's, cracks, clips sold for $1 to $10 each---- howdat for an answer:laughing9:

Congrats on these great results!
Just wondering how many cent boxes or $50 bags do you go though per week?
tokameel

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread