Need help with wheat cent

HappyMedium

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long day so I pulled over to watch a video. I've been looking everywhere to see if there is anything on a 1944 double die reverse wheat cent. I will have to post a picture later I don't even remember what the MM is.
On the reverse of my wheat cent there is a third wheat leaf. You can easily see this with the naked eye.
Has anybody ever heard of such a thing?
I'll be sure to get a picture on the site when I get home.
Thank you in advance for any and all help.

bibleman

Feb 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you may have a "Mule" It would be wise to check with dealers bu phone about what you have. Be careful handing it off!

Blessings!

bibleman

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would not be a mule. A mule is a coin struck with obverse and reverse dies which do not match, such as a quarter obverse and Sacawajea reverse. There are other types of doubling besides doubled die. There is mechanical doubling, die deterioration doubling and double strike. Some carry no premium at all while others do. Only a picture will help figure out what type of doubling you have.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with JCutler.
Usually these are the result of well worn dies or MD (mechanical/machine doubling), but an image is definitely needed.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe this will help in determining if it is in fact a Doubled Die. Once there, click on "die variety search", then enter the Date 1944 and 1944 for both Date blocks, then click on the Mint it was minted at and then click on the type of Variety you are search for, then click on "submit search" at the bottom and the list of Doubled Die Varieties listed with Copper Coins will come up. You can then click on each one to try to determine which it is.

http://www.coppercoins.com/

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Love Coppercoins.com .
Very helpful and fairly easy to use for doubled Dies and RPM's.

Same thing here! I have used Copper Coins for many, many years and was very disheartened when the original owner could no longer keep it updated and the person he had helping, also could no longer keep it updated. I believe the owner finally sold the site a year or two ago and it seems that things have been getting better with updates. It is a very valuable research source for Variety Coin Collectors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HappyMedium

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for that link! I tried and tried but it just wont show up on photo the way it actually looks. If it actually looks like one from the link, I'll try to use the scope.

Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread