Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fakes everywhere.

Inside a Chinese Coin Counterfeiting Ring

The photos in this gallery were taken inside a Chinese coin counterfeiting operation. This counterfeiting ring is suspected of putting thousands of fake coins onto the world and U.S. coin markets every month.

Fake Morgan Dollars Made in China

Fake coins.PNG

Fake Morgan Dollars Being Struck

Fake coins2.PNG

An Assortment of Fake Coin Dies in China

Fake coins3.PNG

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/chinese-coin-counterfeiting-ring-4071202

Counterfeit Detection

To help collectors and dealers identify counterfeits, NGC has prepared lists of the most commonly counterfeited coins with diagnostic information and images from NGC’s extensive database, as well as commentary from the NGC grading team.

Types of Counterfeits

Counterfeiters have employed a variety of methods to create forgeries or alterations. These methods, as well as the varied skill levels of the counterfeiters, have resulted in spurious pieces that range widely from very crude to extremely deceptive. A comprehensive understanding of the different methods used to make forgeries or alterations can help a numismatist identify these counterfeits.

https://www.ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection/

OP
OP
S

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
coin24.PNG coin25.PNG This coin was the reason i questioned large cents. it weighs 10.855 Grams and is supposed to weigh 10.89, how close dos it need to be to be right. bought for less than 20 dollars so i dont believe it will bankrupted me ether way lol.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good lord, I coulda made a better fake.

OP
OP
S

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well crap, what should i do slip past a coin star and drop it in the reject tray?

OP
OP
S

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is the only old coin i ever bought . so what do you guys see that makes it a fake , i would like to learn here. i have no idea myself other than what i read about weight. No PetePocket s55 probably wont try to return it ,just wanting to learn .

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1681726 View attachment 1681727 This coin was the reason i questioned large cents. it weighs 10.855 Grams and is supposed to weigh 10.89, how close dos it need to be to be right. bought for less than 20 dollars so i dont believe it will bankrupted me ether way lol.

As many coins as I have stared at, something really shakes me as odd on the coin.
There is a die chip to the south of the Y.
What is odd about it, is it looks brand new and not aged like the rest of the coin.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. The guy's name is... the Chinese!

Could be a gal too. I was on a layover in Beijing a few years ago and in an area where you needed a ticket a boarding pass and a passport. Two Chinese 20 something ladies came up to me and asked if I could give them two tens for their $20.I looked at it and told them it was fake, they disappeared in the crowd real fast.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a little late in a comment here, the quickest way to distinguish fakes are the edge and lettering. Those are the hardest to copy. If it looks like the edge is doubled, such as in your coin, or rough, that's a strong indication it's fake. Likewise, the lettering can look crooked or blurry. The serifs can be a dead giveaway. Weights can vary on coins, so don't assume anything just based on weight. I've never seen such a common coin counterfeiting, but yours certainly is. I recommend calling some coin shops around and asking if they have a type box or culls, you can get a lot of early American coins in low grades for less than $20

HH
-GC

OP
OP
S

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks goldencoins , for the information ,thats what i was looking for. alot of guys can just look and see, like alot of us can see a fake arrowhead but coins are something i just never messed with you gave me some info i was looking for.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading and looking at large cent history , seems like theres someone out there making copy's of older large cents and selling them as old, has anyone heard this ?if so how do i know i got a original?

Aliexpress is selling pretty much every American coin minted.

Digging it is a sure way of knowing. Or you can do as I did and bought a few fakes of the coins I collect and compare them with the real deals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread