Head spike.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
1943 Mercury.
Spike like a unicorn.
Two cracks on reverse.. I think.
E Pluribus looks strange.
20190225_215730_HDR.jpg
20190225_215715_HDR.jpg
20190225_215613_HDR.jpg
20190225_215601_HDR.jpg
Capture+_2019-02-25-21-59-37.png
Capture+_2019-02-25-21-58-26.png

That Spike is a hard spot at 20x
I need a microscope!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If I didn't look that closely, I wouldn't find errors and such.
Like this crack through the designers initials.
View attachment 1684897

Is it not valuable enough to post?
That's the feeling here!

We all understand that you are trying to learn about Errors and Varieties but at times the posting of fairly benign Errors gets overwhelming. Don't take it the wrong way as there is nothing wrong with posting these coins with Errors but sometimes some of us need to take a break from looking at and replying to these posts. With all of the problems I have in my life with 2 daughters and 4 grandkids living with me and the financial difficulties I face practically every month, I occasionally have to focus on other things and will sometimes just check out the other forums which I have ignored, overlooked or neglected for far too long. It has nothing to do with you or any of the other Posters and I hope you understand this! Just keep in mind that if you think some is significant, post it. If you are sure something is insignificant, you may not want to post it unless you really need help on understanding how it could have happened. We do our best to answer most questions but although we have quite a bit of knowledge and experience with Error and Variety coins, I don't believe that any of us are Experts.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say your statement above provides a good guide for you. If you need a microscope to see an anomaly, it's probably not significant.

That's a rather ironic thing to say. NGC and all of the other sites that people here have recommended to me, say that a microscope IS needed.

I'm going to keep posting my stuff.
I don't expect anything from you or anyone else.
Have a great day.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a rather ironic thing to say. NGC and all of the other sites that people here have recommended to me, say that a microscope IS needed.

I'm going to keep posting my stuff.
I don't expect anything from you or anyone else.
Have a great day.

Yes, a microscope is sometimes needed but is more used by those that research coins, research coin errors and varieties and try to explain the causes. However, sometimes additional magnification is too much and is often the cause of those that search coins to suffer pareidolia or in other words, to see things that are not there. Sometimes it is caused by the magnification but most often it is due to the lighting used when searching coins.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope none of that was upsetting. I don't want to upset anyone.
I am studying the coins.
I've noticed a few design changes so far in very early production mint sets.
When I enter into something that I am passionate about, I take it all the way to whatever limits there may be.
I must learn everything that I can.
I know about seeing things that aren't there.
I have a little experience with grading coins at 7x magnification. I lnow that graders should NOT look at a coin for more than say five minutes.

I got kind of defensive with the other person.
I didn't mean to. I'm sorry.
I just want to learn everything, from the die making process, up through making the hubs and planchets. I need to learn these things or I'll go sane.. Lol.

Mike.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're doing fine Mike. You reply, respond and follow up with info when it's needed. I think we all have taken comments or had comments taken the wrong way. We've probably all seen threads started on other forums with images and vague questions and no follow up or replies by the OP. Just remember to be patient with us also.

You're much better at communicating than I did getting back into it 6 years ago. So much to learn but the web makes it possible.
I, for one, am enjoying following your journey through your fathers collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread