1907 IHP error----- Lam, retained strike through, or ????

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a peeled planchet Lam that was folded over when struck :dontknow:

all opinions welcome

IMG_8828.JPG
IMG_8827.JPG
IMG_8829.JPG
note the flat spot on rim opposite the error

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I can say for certain that it is a De-Lamination piece that separated from another coin that somehow came attached to the Obverse of your' 1907 Indian Head Cent. It is not a Strike Thru Error as the covered portions of the lettering, "TED" & "S" of UNITED STATES only barely show through but would be strongly struck if the coin was struck while the De-Lamination piece was in place and the Blakesley Effect would show on the opposite rim, lettering and probably the Wreath. It may have gotten on the coin when it was rolled and due to packing in the roll over time, the piece became more and more attached due to compression.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Frank. there is a flat spot on the obverse edge opposite the "flap"

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great find one of a kind for sure!!!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting piece! :icon_thumleft:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Are we certain that it's not a piece of foreign material that became pressed on it as PMD and on there for years & years.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Are we certain that it's not a piece of foreign material that became pressed on it as PMD and on there for years & years.

Well, it sure appears to be a fairly thin strip of Copper that likely separated from another coin that suffered a Lamination peel and separation. Without analyzing the coin under a microscope or doing a metallurgy test, I can never be certain.

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it sure appears to be a fairly thin strip of Copper that likely separated from another coin that suffered a Lamination peel and separation. Without analyzing the coin under a microscope or doing a metallurgy test, I can never be certain.

the dentils around the rim are weak at the "flap" and appear to be present on the flap, so my opinion is this is part of a peeled area that was folded over post the strike. the devices under the flap appear to be a good strike. this coin would be a winner in a "curling" competition :laughing9:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice example of a retained lamination.
Looks like a retained lamination to me also but folded over after the strike and from this coin, not a different one.

The piece is symmetrical (lunar or moon shaped), matches the contour of the rim, partially obscures the underlying letters of "TED S", and the denticles are still visible at the rim where this piece came from. Some time after the coin was struck, some force caused the metal to peel away and fold back onto the coin. If it folded before the coin was struck the letters "TED S" would be more prominent.

This retained lamination shouldn't be confused with "fold over lamination before the strike" which would be a struck through error.

Here is a LINK to a " Lamination Fold Over- before the strike" on Error-Ref.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread