1982 D

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there an error with the 1982 D? Seems like the copper rubbed off to reveal a silver color on both sides.
Thoughts? And it’s not damaged.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554669827.674235.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554669839.140206.jpg

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was going to say that a coin counting/rolling drilling machine could cause the SCRAPE, but not on both sides at the same time, only the last coin side showing at the top of the roll would get the mark. Can't say what could have caused the marks, most likely PMD.

OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to say that a coin counting/rolling drilling machine could cause the SCRAPE, but not on both sides at the same time, only the last coin side showing at the top of the roll would get the mark. Can't say what could have caused the marks, most likely PMD.

I thought it was scrape as well but it’s smooth and the color blemish extends to Lincoln and the “trust” shows no damage either. I wish my phone would take better pictures.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I blew up your Obv pic and see what you mean on no damage in TRUST. Is it Copper or Zinc, most likely zinc due to the layer effect.

OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I blew up your Obv pic and see what you mean on no damage in TRUST. Is it Copper or Zinc, most likely zinc due to the layer effect.

Thank you for doing that. I need to invest in a better magnifying tool.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a local coin dealer most will look at any coin you bring in for free. Most times having the coin in hand is the only way to determine error or value. Cool find good eye. Tommy

OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a local coin dealer most will look at any coin you bring in for free. Most times having the coin in hand is the only way to determine error or value. Cool find good eye. Tommy

Thank you Tommy.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you weigh it?

That will tell us whether it is zinc. It's possible a caustic liquid dissolved the copper in the lower areas around TRUST but left the tops of the letters intact.
The white powdery substance if front of Lincoln's face looks like a leftover residue from a liquid.

OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you weigh it?

That will tell us whether it is zinc. It's possible a caustic liquid dissolved the copper in the lower areas around TRUST but left the tops of the letters intact.
The white powdery substance if front of Lincoln's face looks like a leftover residue from a liquid.

I’ll need to get a digital kitchen scale.
That’s actually not white powder that’s the coin. I guess it looks white in the pic but it’s the same as the lamination in question.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking at this coin a little closer I'm convinced it's some white residue on the coin, nothing else.

OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking at this coin a little closer I'm convinced it's some white residue on the coin, nothing else.

Well there isn’t but thank you for your opinion. What you see as white I see as silver in color.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread