Need help identifying

nroth1618

May 18, 2013
I have been collecting coins for a few years now and I have come across this ancient coin I can find nothing about. I have researched it online and looked through auction records. Any help would be greatly appreciated! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559344804.911883.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559344819.375978.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Following up five years later.........
The reverse image depicts the Altar of Pax (peace) found on coins of Tiberius, Nero and perhaps others.
Some history:The Ara Pacis Augustae (Latin, "Altar of Augustan Peace"; commonly shortened to Ara Pacis) is an altar in Rome dedicated to Pax, the Roman goddess of Peace. The monument was commissioned by the Roman Senate on July 4, 13 B.C. to honor the return of Augustus to Rome after three years in Hispania and Gaul, and consecrated on January 30, 9 B.C. Originally located on the northern outskirts of Rome, a Roman mile from the boundary of the pomerium on the west side of the Via Flaminia, it stood in the northeastern corner of the Campus Martius, the former flood plain of the Tiber River and gradually became buried under 4 metres (13 ft) of silt deposits. It was reassembled in its current location, now the Museum of the Ara Pacis, in 1938.
Source: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=ara pacis
Don in SoCal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread