3 BU 1943 Lincoln steel wheat cents question

1bigpopsont

Jul 12, 2006
pa.
Detector(s) used
dfx 300
I have 3 nice bu 1943 steel wheats. I have a 1943,1943D and a 43s. I Would like to send these coins in to be graded however they have sat in a damp garage for years so they have a film on them that I would like to clean off before I send them in I know cleaning is not recommended but surely there must be someway to tidy them up before I send them any information would be appreciated. Also are they worth grading?

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, are you sure they are BU? Many thousands of these were reprocessed to make them look shiny and new but it actually reduces the collector value. Even if uncirculated coins would have to be very high grade to justify having them graded. Can you post pictures of them?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would use a few drops of Dawn liquid soap in an Rx bottle with hot water, shake every now & then over 2-3 days, rinse with warm water, pat dry with paper towel. Try it first on some dirty copper rejects first if you question using this process.

OP
OP
1bigpopsont

1bigpopsont

Jul 12, 2006
pa.
Detector(s) used
dfx 300
859B2A40-4FA8-4753-A9D1-46ECF50F26C0.jpeg

Attachments

• 899EDF56-7E81-4C2A-8DDE-D66C9AE5FF5D.jpeg
    899EDF56-7E81-4C2A-8DDE-D66C9AE5FF5D.jpeg
    941.7 KB · Views: 89

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your last image of the 1943D seems to be a classic example of a replated coin.

Some rust seems to be coming through behind Lincoln's head.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a whole roll of Un-circulated 1943 cents. I put 4 sets of 1943,1943D and a 43S on Ebay for $5.00 and didn't sell one set. Don't waste your time.... sorry....

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enamel's post - "Sorry, but those definitely have been replayed."

The "Y" is next to the "T". He meant to type replated.

I doubt it since they were gotten from a bank in the 50's by my dad and were still in the bank roll.

1943 pennies.jpg

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I doubt it since they were gotten from a bank in the 50's by my dad and were still in the bank roll.

View attachment 1755963
Please allow me to go out on a limb and assume the comment about them being replated was directed to the guy who originally posted. Since this isn't about YOUR coins and when he made that comment he hadn't even seen any pictures of yours. Maybe start your own thread if you want to show yours off instead of hijacking this one ? Much less likely to confuse everyone including yourself... As for the coins this thread is actually about even if they were BU coins when put into the holder they have no value now because of the environmental damage.

Last edited:

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please allow me to go out on a limb and assume the comment about them being replated was directed to the guy who originally posted. Since this isn't about YOUR coins and when he made that comment he hadn't even seen any pictures of yours. Maybe start your own thread if you want to show yours off instead of hijacking this one ? Much less likely to confuse everyone including yourself... As for the coins this thread is actually about even if they were BU coins when put into the holder they have no value now because of the environmental damage.

Well excuse me! There is such a thing as "quoting" so you know what they are talking about without guessing. I just posted that 1943 coins were common and I had a roll. I felt I was questioned and responded. I tried to hijack no one so buzz off and mind your own business... I need your opinion like I need another hole...

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Well excuse me! There is such a thing as "quoting" so you know what they are talking about without guessing. I just posted that 1943 coins were common and I had a roll. I felt I was questioned and responded. I tried to hijack no one so buzz off and mind your own business... I need your opinion like I need another hole...
Look dude.. as I said I'm not here to argue but how on earth did you assume YOU were being questioned when you hadn't even posted your pictures when the comment was made ? The thread was NOT about you or your coins... smh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread