Opinions please...Possible 1982-D small

Louisa

Dec 15, 2006
Ouchita Mountains, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I tried to do my research first before posting this but would seriously appreciate honest opinions. I've read several threads about this coin and knew I had several large that I have just been hanging onto but this one seemed different. The numbers are finer and the number 2 has a wider / cleaner gap on the back side and my son did a line test on it to where it showed that the bottom of the 1,2 and 8 line up. He wanted to weigh it but my scale doesn't do grams. Is this coin worth taking the chance of sending it in to get graded?

Attachments

• penny.jpg
    penny.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
L

Louisa

Dec 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I forgot about my metal detector, it's a Whites Spectrum, was curious and "bored" but when I swiped one of the regular 1982-D pennies it registered 65 and the 1 cent icon along with the bottle cap icon showed on the monitor. When I swept over the one I think may be a small it registered 80 and the 1 cent icon and dime icon showed on the monitor so I'm hoping it is copper. "IF" it is a small it probably won't be worth much because it's not in the greatest condition BUT it would be one of my better finds!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a small date, and weighing is the next thing you must do. Your detector ID is promising but you must weigh it. It wouldn't cost you much to buy a scale or if you know someone in a jewelry store or who reloads ammunition they would most likely weigh it for you. Don't clean it or even rub it until you find out, and good luck!

OP
OP
L

Louisa

Dec 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
It is a small date, and weighing is the next thing you must do. Your detector ID is promising but you must weigh it. It wouldn't cost you much to buy a scale or if you know someone in a jewelry store or who reloads ammunition they would most likely weigh it for you. Don't clean it or even rub it until you find out, and good luck!

Thank you Cutler for responding. I just sent my husband out to try and find a scale. Fingers crossed. Yes, I never clean my coins other than the ones I dig and only rinse them with water. Will post here once I get a scale.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with lcutler and definitely a small date from Denver.

Hope it is copper but it has a zinc look about it.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in the process of dumping all my hoarded coppers, however I had kept all the 1982 coins separate. My next step is to weigh and sort between coppers vs zinc, P& D, lg & sm dates. Maybe I can find one of those sleepers.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats an exciting find good catch hope you got the pot o gold

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread