High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
This could be clipped, but so slight my untrained eye can not detect any Blakesley effect. Really can't be seen from the front, only the back and edge.

What do you think? Opinions appreciated. Thanks.

clip back.JPG clip edge.JPG

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dropped from high elevation,...... hit something hard,.... like a taxi.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
This could be clipped, but so slight my untrained eye can not detect any Blakesley effect. Really can't be seen from the front, only the back and edge.

What do you think? Opinions appreciated. Thanks.

View attachment 1797578 View attachment 1797579

NoGold,
I am not seeing anything nipped or clipped, but it does look like it has been dented on the edge . . . like it fell several feet and landed right on the edge.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the rim appears lessened -- thus , a clip. Blakesley can be as light as a slight rim hump opposite or a minor bevel to the field.

OP
OP
No gold in NY

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Ace. Makes the most sense so far.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Ace. Makes the most sense so far.

So you guys really think it was clipped in some way? How many of those sized clips would have to be piled up to = just one copper cent. I would suspect in the hundreds, but am only guessing.

So if a guy was really really good at just barely clipping pennies, maybe he could clip 30 every minute for 10 minutes = 300 clips; or maybe a whole cent. That would be $.06 per hour, with no bathroom breaks, or streatching, or coughing, . . . . . I'm not so sure someone could make it worth the time it would take.
Just trying to understand the logic.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you guys really think it was clipped in some way? How many of those sized clips would have to be piled up to = just one copper cent. I would suspect in the hundreds, but am only guessing.

So if a guy was really really good at just barely clipping pennies, maybe he could clip 30 every minute for 10 minutes = 300 clips; or maybe a whole cent. That would be $.06 per hour, with no bathroom breaks, or streatching, or coughing, . . . . . I'm not so sure someone could make it worth the time it would take.
Just trying to understand the logic.

the clip is created at the blanking process. a 13 inch wide roll of stock is punched in a honeycomb pattern to minimize waste. any mis- alignment of the stock will result in straight, concave and/or convex clips of the blanks. a blank can have multiple clips from bad alignment compounded with end of roll of stock, an overlap of another planchet caught by the punching rods. a clip is not a hoarding process of metal--- like what folks did when shaving gold & silver coins. hope this is now clear----------after all this --- I need a good BARBER:laughing1:, with or without a clip 8-)-- just trim me on the sides---the top is too thin as it is :BangHead:--- a dime or quarter will suffice:laughing9:

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
the clip is created at the blanking process. a 13 inch wide roll of stock is punched in a honeycomb pattern to minimize waste. any mis- alignment of the stock will result in straight, concave and/or convex clips of the blanks. a blank can have multiple clips from bad alignment compounded with end of roll of stock, an overlap of another planchet caught by the punching rods. a clip is not a hoarding process of metal--- like what folks did when shaving gold & silver coins. hope this is now clear----------after all this --- I need a good BARBER:laughing1:, with or without a clip 8-)-- just trim me on the sides---the top is too thin as it is :BangHead:--- a dime or quarter will suffice:laughing9:

Ace,
Thank you for that very clear explanation. I totally stand corrected, and get the question now.

No Gold,
My apologies for dinging your thread.

Sincerely,
Idahodutch

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace,
Thank you for that very clear explanation. I totally stand corrected, and get the question now.

No Gold,
My apologies for dinging your thread.

Sincerely,
Idahodutch

congratulations, you have made a complete return trip on the river of no return---- a little play on the Idaho coin thing. welcome to the place where we all get to learn stuff---- not every place in our great Nation does that happen :dontknow::laughing9::icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Ace,
You know, it's funny, but I have seen at least a few older (copper) pennies in the past that look just like the one in the photo. I always just figured somebody dropped it. Maybe some were, maybe some were clipped ???:icon_scratch: . . . :dontknow:

OP
OP
No gold in NY

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Idahodutch,

People do the strangest things to coins. Here is a link to a cent I thought was clipped. It was pointed out that it was done with cutting pliers.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coins/618234-clipped-what.html

NoGold,
Yeah, definitely looks like two cuts that took little bits off the edge and then a different tool that cut partway through but from coming straight on. Might have been the same tool, but does not look like it was side cutters or dikes. The nips off of the edge could have been done by either..

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't appear to be an authentic clip but any chance you can get a clear closeup image of the obv and rev? (with no paper clip)

ps. What year is it? Thanks in advance.

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
straight clip you can clearly see the blakesly effect, no gold- yours has no blakesly effect just damage

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread