Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever heard of a website called etsy? It may just be the worst place to buy coins.

A simple search for "rare coins" returns these results:
Screenshot (351).png

And it gets better. The amount of ridiculous prices, deception, and fraud contained on this site when it comes to coins is incredible, and a little bit puzzling.

Who is making these listings?
Is anyone buying?
What are these coins REALLY worth?

These are the questions that my brother Kevin and I decided to tackle in a brand new video I just posted to my YouTube channel. Check it out if you're interested in finding out more!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tons of Chinese crap for sale on etsy. I think they have even less buyer protection than ebay where many fakes of any kind are also sold.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you a lot of people show up on the coin forums, sure they are rich because they saw a coin just like theirs on Etsy. Then they don't want to believe the truth.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never used them. I rarely have trouble on Ebay. You have to investigate anything you buy ahead of time. I would never buy a coin unslabbed anymore. Too many fakes.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell on etsy and ebay. sometimes I sell coins.

Many sellers hate etsy (I only dislike them) but I do have to stand up for etsy this time. It is the sellers and not etsy that are the problem in the case you point out.

If someone is dumb enough to fall for their tactics that is their fault. If I need something and I know nothing about it I will do research until I am knowledgeable enough to buy.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never buy the slab..buy the coin.

I agree with Smokey. The issue is not that the slab is being bought but the expert opinion of the authenticator hired by PCGS, PNG, or ANACS. They see thousands of coins and their opinion is what one pays for, not the plastic. Today, counterfeits are higher quality and more deceptive than ever, so paying for expert authentication of an expensive purchase provides considerable peace of mind. I do worry about stories that the slabs themselves are now being counterfeited. I hope that is not true, or if it is, that it is minimal.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions