Mint error?

terry g

May 9, 2009
In the Mediterranean on a yacht.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
2 x Excalibur ll, Excal 1000,
Found this in the water on my recent Island trip. 1 euro 3.JPG 23.25mm od. The punched out piece is 6mm approx 1/4"
The inner disc was originally at the 2 o'clock position. There are no punching presses or any type of manufacturing where this coin was found... If not a mint error would someone go to all the trouble of knocking a hole in a coin, carefully replace the inner portion and then put it in their pocket and take it on holiday??? any thoughts.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found American coins like that. I can't say how or why it is done, but there is definitely nothing in the minting process that could do that. It is definitely man made damage, there is no other explanation.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heaven knows why someone went to the trouble of mutilating a coin like that, but post mint mutilation it certainly is. Compare it to how it would have been struck:

Euro.jpg

Note that on your coin the lines running through the map of Europe are not aligned to to the stars running round the outer ring and the 'O' of 'Euro' is also misplaced by the same amount of rotation. Since these features are part of a single die that strikes the double-alloy composite blank, they could never be misaligned like that on a genuine coin that's still held together in one piece. Someone has prised the central part out, mutilated it and shoved it back in again together with that plug, but in the wrong orientation. You can see a gouge mark above the 'R' where a screwdriver or something similar has been used to lever it out.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they put fishing line on it and used it in soda machine or a type of machine that takes coin. With line in it you could retrieve coin and do again.

OP
OP
T

terry g

May 9, 2009
In the Mediterranean on a yacht.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
2 x Excalibur ll, Excal 1000,
Thanks for the replies everyone. Damn I was hoping to get a few extra bob for it! Maybe some silly bugger on flea bay will think its a mint error :laughing9:.The funny thing is the guy on the obverse has a hole in his head. Ill send a photo of it to Boris and tell him what a screw up he has made.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Error Coin2.jpg Error Coin.jpg This is one I found in my pocket today...I must have gotten it as change in the last couple of days...

Any thoughts???

Ed T

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread