coinstar finds

seinfeld4077

Mar 19, 2011
california
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found these coins in the reject tray, the 1913 is nice, but the indians look fake, they are thicker than they should be and they dont sound like a copper penny, they sound like foreign money when dropped and they dont stick to a magnet...???

Last edited:
OP
OP
seinfeld4077

seinfeld4077

Mar 19, 2011
california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here are the pics scan.jpg

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I have yet to find more than a zincoln in a coinstar. And I believe those years should be fatter and shouldn't stick to a magnet. They are beat to death though.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
steel sticks to magnets --indain head cents are made of bronze / copper depending upon the year made --both bronze and copper are non magnetic ( they will not stick to a magnet) and are thicker than lincoln wheat type cents -- a nickle is made of "nickle" which is some what magnetic --thus it will stick to a magnet.

OP
OP
seinfeld4077

seinfeld4077

Mar 19, 2011
california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so your saying that these are real? i have a 1900 indian and it looks way different, when you flick these, they make no sound....not sure if they are real or not

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Yes those are real.... In my opinion. The indian heads from early sixties, are not the same metal content as wheats so they will sound different. There a a few dates that are referred to as "fatties" because they are so much thicker than normal indian head cents. I have one, I thought it was fake at first too, it is also a 1863... Good find.

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are definitely real. The 1859-1863 maybe 4) are thicker than the later years. I dig them hunting Civil war sites frequently. Even burned to death with fertilizer you can tell what they are by the thickness. We call them Phattys. Nice score.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
civil warish era imdain head cents and some other years are fatter than normal-- often refered to as "fatty's" and some yeaers are made of a differant metal makeup --- bronze vs mostly copper-- lincoln wheat cents for the most part are copper based -except the 1943 zinc coated steel cents *-- the bronze indain heads of course will sound and look "differant" than the copper wheat cents --yes their real. --with good finds like that hit that spot some more you never know what other goodies might be there.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
op -other person ? -- if that coin star machine has a person who dumps old coins in it * its a good spot to recheck -- it doesn't have to be a metal detector spot --to be a "good spot" to keep on rechecking :thumbsup:

say a crook that bust into homes and swipes money * ( including coins) doesn't want to go to the bank with the coins he swipes -- because the bank clerk might remember his face / name or might know him - so he dumps his loot in the coin star and gets a reciept for "paper money" -- the coin star machine sorts out the old "odd" coins and silver coins via the reject bin -- the crook not wanting to draw attention to himself "leaves" these "old coins" behind rather than taking them to spend ( spending these old coins will often draw attention as people tend to remember odd or strange money being spent )-- thus often there is a small batch of coins left behind -- if one finds a coin star that a coin stealing crook uses fairly often to "cash in" at one can find a silver mine of sorts.

remember this * if a person dumped some old coins there once (be they innocent or crook) --they might do it again * (folks tend to be creatures of habit and thus tend to shop at the same place over and over)-- sort of like in metal detecting the old saying -- always recheck your hole after you find the first coin -- because there might be more down there (pocket spill)-- so the hit the spot again ( in this case) = recheck the coinstar often

Last edited:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I check the Coinstar return slot at my store everyday that I go to work and the one thing I've found is that the machine does't like silver coins.I've found alott of old silver dimes (about 20 dimes),in the slot over the last 2 years.:thumbsup:

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Went the to grocery today. Saw a lady dumping a large jar of coins into the Coinstar machine. I did my shopping and checked the reject tray on the way out the door. Saw a bunch of coin but all 1980s clad. I'm $1.30 richer however.

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
if one finds a coin star that a coin stealing crook uses fairly often to "cash in" at one can find a silver mine of sorts.

If you find a machine that you suspect a thief may be using, you should notify the store manager so they can alert the police. There have been more than a few instances where a thief has been caught because of his coinstar activity. Those finds are not the same as a reject from someone's pocket change or change jar. These coins are someone's collected valuables that have been stolen. If you keep going back for more without alerting the store manager, you are not acting any different than the thief.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Nice finds! Your Indians are real. Until 1864, they were made on thicker copper nickel planchets. Congrats!

OP
OP
seinfeld4077

seinfeld4077

Mar 19, 2011
california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i did tell the store manager and he said next time turn the coins into a checker, so i will keep some random coins on hand at all times and swap any silver for clad, also know as GSH (grocery store hunting):laughing7:

Last edited:

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to the grocery store and saw a woman dumping a bag of coins into the Coinstar machine. The machine kept spitting out "rejects". Unfortunately for me she was aware of the rejects and kept dumping them into the machine. A few minutes later I realized that the machine kept spitting out the same few coins over and over again. They lady got really frustrated to the point where she would take the reject coins, look at them with a puzzled look and throw them back into the machine only to be spit out again. I could only imagine what those coins were. Judging by her puzzled look I was thinking Mercs, Barbers or foreign coins. Something that a common person would not normally see. Alas, she finally gave up on trying to feed the machine the reject coins and simply put them in her pocket. She'll probably think they are junk and throw them away or put in a new coin jar.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to the grocery store and saw a woman dumping a bag of coins into the Coinstar machine. The machine kept spitting out "rejects". Unfortunately for me she was aware of the rejects and kept dumping them into the machine. A few minutes later I realized that the machine kept spitting out the same few coins over and over again. They lady got really frustrated to the point where she would take the reject coins, look at them with a puzzled look and throw them back into the machine only to be spit out again. I could only imagine what those coins were. Judging by her puzzled look I was thinking Mercs, Barbers or foreign coins. Something that a common person would not normally see. Alas, she finally gave up on trying to feed the machine the reject coins and simply put them in her pocket. She'll probably think they are junk and throw them away or put in a new coin jar.

You should have asked her about them. I always ask when someone dumps coins, and they usually are friendly to me and give their rejects!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread