Coinstar Questionnaire

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) How often are you able to check Coinstars?

I have a regular route of four CS's I hit 2-3x a week, not counting additional machines outside the route I happen to come across.

2) How long have you been Coinstar-ing?

Can't remember when I first noticed CS's, but at least 6 years.

3) What percentage of the time do you find no coins at all?

Easily less than 50%. I'm lucky enough to be in an urban area with lots of people disposing of their coinage.

4) How many CS's are available to you?

Two in my immediate neighborhood and three more within three miles.

5) How often do you encounter CS's that are full or otherwise inoperable?

I'd say once every 1-2 weeks.

6) What stores do you find CS's in?

So far I've only found them in Smith's, Albertson's and Walmart.

7) A Coinstar tech is working on a machine when you arrive. Do you start a conversation with him?

This has only happened once to me and I couldn't bring myself to chat. He was on his cell the whole time and I didn't want to disrupt his repair time.

8) Have you established a contact with a store employee who saves CS goodies for you?

I did about 5 years ago (and it was lucrative!) but I moved away from that neighborhood.

9) Are you self-conscious as you check out the machine?

A tiny bit but I'm trying to get over it. I don't like to be obvious about it when store employees are around because I think it'll give them ideas about snagging the good stuff themselves.

10) A person is depositing a large quantity of coins into the machine and it looks like it'll be awhile before they finish. Do you wait it out for any possible leftovers or do you bail and say better luck next time?

It depends. If I have to do shopping I'll take my time and hope they're finished by the time I'm done. Large quantities that look like they'll take 1+ hours? I bail.

Feel free to submit your own answers.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread