Berkeley Lake is way down

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's the lake at 46th and Sheridan in Denver. Driving by on I70 it looks like it's getting drained for construction on the north shore. The south side swimming area water line looks to be about 50 feet from shore. I couldn't tell if there was open access. I don't have time this week but wanted to share the information.

OldDogEyes

Greenie
Apr 24, 2011
Denver, CO area
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Jimbog said:
It's the lake at 46th and Sheridan in Denver. Driving by on I70 it looks like it's getting drained for construction on the north shore. The south side swimming area water line looks to be about 50 feet from shore. I couldn't tell if there was open access. I don't have time this week but wanted to share the information.

My wife read on DenverPost.com that 46 gold rings have been found since it's apparently been drained...

Here is a link to the article:
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_18761039

Did you stop and detect?

Doug

OP
OP
TabWhisperer

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OldDogEyes said:
Jimbog said:

My wife read on DenverPost.com that 46 gold rings have been found since it's apparently been drained...

Here is a link to the article:
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_18761039

Did you stop and detect?

Doug

Holy cow! I was out of town for a few days. I guess i better get over there and look for my share... Did you get a shot at it?

OldDogEyes

Greenie
Apr 24, 2011
Denver, CO area
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Jimbog said:
Holy cow! I was out of town for a few days. I guess i better get over there and look for my share... Did you get a shot at it?

Been out twice... It's dirty work and a lot of it. There are people doing traditional detecting, prospecting, sifting, etc... Different approaches. My take has been minimal but others have done well.

Doug

OP
OP
TabWhisperer

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OldDogEyes said:
Jimbog said:

Been out twice... It's dirty work and a lot of it. There are people doing traditional detecting, prospecting, sifting, etc... Different approaches. My take has been minimal but others have done well.

Doug

I got a few hours in over the last week. Just some change, shotgun shells and tons of sinkers and lures. The good news I guess it that means other have missed those targets among the trash. I hope it will continue to dry out to it can be walked on farther out. Today it looked like the water table was about 6 inches below the surface about 200 feet from shore. It sould be nice if the city would put some trash barrels in the area around the beach. I know people would be happy to toss the trash in them, but there is too much to haul in one by one.

Jbacks3

Feb 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Berkeley Lake is now filled.
I was out there a few times early last fall and the south side looked like the trenches in WWI France. All I found with my ACE 250 were a few clad coins and I dug up several interesting bottles. Detectorists did the city a huge favor by cleaning up a ton of trash (although the city didn't exactly help much by accomodating us with dumpsters or trash bags). I did see some interesting finds by others--- lots of 1890's stuff... lots of child sized rings and an added insight about how the lake was used 120+ years ago (skeet?! really... the SE area produced hundreds of clay pidgeons--- unimaginable today). Unfortunately the dock/pier was likely never adequately explored due to the mud... it would've been interesting to zap the far end of the pier, but it was just too perilous.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread