Metal Detecting: Sand Dunes area of Southern Colorado

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never have but I know there are reports of UFOs and aliens running around. Plus the UFO spotters that camp out in that area. Maybe you could pick up some "foreign" currency. :laughing7:

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OldDogEyes said:
Has anyone attempted or received permission to metal detect at the Sand Dunes in Southern Colorado (near Hooper)?

Thanks
Doug

Doug it is the Great Sand Dunes National Park, so I would be careful where you poke around. The whole San Luis Valley has always been a hotbed of UFO activity. Be worth a visit though.
BB
http://www.nps.gov/grsa/index.htm

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Heard this several years ago from a trusted friend who lived nearby. He said something unwordly cut grooves across his yard
in a straight line. Happened always at night and it wasn't like anything he'd ever seen. He found quite a number of bird points
around there probably from natives who hunted both birds and fish from the much wider Rio Grande hundreds of years ago.
His place was south of the highway a few miles east of Alamosa.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
San Luis Valley is one of my favorite places. I detected with no problems from the rangers at the state park west of the sand dunes. With little results too. Only aliens I saw were my family, who are from Mexico. What we call 'bird points' were actually used to bring down buffalo and deer. Larger points were atl-atl dart points used in hunting.

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting