Bear Creek, Durango area

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Have you prospected the headwaters of Bear Creek NE of Durango ? Any tips ? How did you do ? How rugged and accessable is the terrain and is the area containing the State Wildlife Preserve closed to recreational prospecting ? The locals have told me to take EXTREME bear precautions in this area, especially in April and May. "It Ain't Called Bear Creek For Nuthin".. Has anyone had bear encounters in this area they wish to share ?

Marmentman

Sep 10, 2013
La Plata, nm
Detector(s) used
Gold stinger
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on how in shape you are, there are several access points. The hike from mancos side can be hard. But the pass before you drop down to bear creek is an awesome sight! Sharks tooth mountian is beautiful, though I don't suggest climbing it. I never made it down to bear creek to prospect the creek. Entering from the north side where it dumps into the Deloris river is easier. Still a good uphill climb. I panned a couple spots and didn't find anything, doesn't mean it's way back up in there though. Seen bears in these moutians, but no confrontations so far they mostly just run away.

OP
OP
T

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
So far, runnin has worked for me. Had two close calls with BIG bears. Ran both times and i'm still on the right side of the dirt. I say, if the bear is already charging at you.. RUN ! Standing there and waitin for the impact of an 800 lb. animal is pure suicide. Sure the bear is probably gonna catch you.. but he might be lazy today and decide not to chase you more than 25 yards.

OP
OP
T

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Historically speaking, there should be some color in Bear Creek. But everyone i've talked to locally says my chances are way better at the headwaters of Junction Creek. That's gonna be in the San Juan National Forest. But that means i'll be limited to a 14 day stay. It's hard to prospect an area, dig down to bedrock and work much material in just 14 days, so alot depends on how good my intelligence work is before i set out. When i visited Rose Creek in Arizona, i was there for three weeks before i found the right feeder creek and started seeing some serious color.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread