Dove Creek: Exploring an Aztec/Montezuma Legend-Seeking local input

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
This was explored briefly in another thread on Colorado and Aztec legends in general, overall this particular story has received the most direct attention and was soemthign I wanted to present directly to people that might have lived in the area of Dove Creek.

“A few years ago, a self-styled expert on the legend claimed that details of the treasure are told in the mysterious symbols carved long ago in a cave near Dove Creek, Colorado.

The expert said the symbol, corresponded to the Aztec Calendario Piecho del Sol, discovered in 1792 and now in the Mexico City National Museum.

The expert, whose identity is unknown, said the symbols are compass point carvings and indicate a ring of seven mountains and the location of the treasure is marked in elation to the mountains. He claimed the seven mountains match those in the Kanab, Utah, area, and the location of the treasure would then be in Colorado, in the Four Corners area.”
("Treasure Tales of the Rockies" by Perry Eberhart)

My interest in the story as it stands is verifying whether or not this cave exists. It seems unlikely, but I would love to hear if any locals are familiar with the story or any caves in the area that might have soemthing similar but not preciseley as described. It's a classic treasure story with a vague location from a vague source. Any feedback is aprpeciated though as this is not an area I can explroe myself at the time. This is a rather old story so it's possible many have heard it before. It's mroe possible, however, that like so many stories of this nature it has faded into obscurity.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread