Would like to move

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Don't know a thing about you or if you have a family or what your other interests are,but,I would certainly strike Denver off my 'home' list.IMO

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Lloyd,
Here is an official Colorado site http://www.colorado.com/city154 for Colo Springs. Check this site out first.

We have a lot of economic problems here, maybe more than other places. If you need a job be sure to check out the Denver Post want ads. That should give you and idea of the job market. Construction is about dead with the top three builders moving out-of-state.

But real estate is a buyer's market. Gas is high here too.

Colorado like Illinois is a strict gun control state. If you want a register for a concealed weapon license, don't do it in Denver. They would rather confiscate your gun(s). Likewise Boulder. The most liberal city in the state. It's beautiful but very expensive to live there.

Ft. Collins and Loveland are nice places but are growing fast. Some folks commute to Denver from there but it's a trip.

In many ways Denver and Colorado are still cow towns. Yes, it's true. Night life is pretty slim unless you're in a bigger city or college town.

Denver area bus lines are all the RTD system. This is one where, to increase revenue, they cut back established routes, raise fares and now want to charge for parking. It is extremely difficult to get around anywhere without a car.

The mountain towns are very nice if you can either afford it or be able to stand the people living there. Runs the gamut from Aspen snobbies to meth-lab havens. You have to check them out personally to decide what you like.

If you are an outdoors type then this is the place. Best all around climate, lot's of sunshine and low humidity.

In any case I wouldn't advise commiting to a move until you actually visited the place. Like a guy I knew from NYC who drove a Corvette, bought a beautiful log home in the mountains close to Denver. With a downhill driveway that went directly into his garage. Yes. The first snow he couldn't even leave the garage. And if he did it would have been fun to watch him slip down the hill into the garage. Like I said You need to check things pretty carefully.

Myself, my wife and I lived in Boulder for a while but couldn't stand the snotty people there. Denver's OK but I wouldn't live there either. Unless I had a lot of $$$. Money is always a winner wherever you move.

Good luck!

Attachments

• panS.jpg
    panS.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 495

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where you live in Colorado depends on your job, which means that for most people more of the jobs that can support you are close to Denver. For me personally, Denver is too urban for me. Although, it is right next to some of the big gold producing areas(Blackhawk, Central City, Golden, Clear Creek), so you don't have to drive very far for prospecting.
My personel favorite prospecting area is the Buena Vista area, it is also where I would like to move. I'm a Correctional Officer, so I can move almost anywhere in the state. In the Buena Vista there are 4 GPAA claims on the Arkansas River right outside the city, and there is another GPAA claim right up the highway right across from a public prospecting area on another creek.
As far as the cost of living, I have a different perspective. I moved here from California 5 years ago, so I know what a real high cost of living is, and Colorado is not it. Real estate is low, gas is at or below the national average, traffic is low (except around Denver, pretty much anything have to do with Denver is jacked up), retail prices are good, and the thing I noticed when we were moving here as compared to California, the people in this state are very friendly. Another personal opinion, Colorado Springs is one of the best cities to live, in fact, Colorado Springs usually rates in the top 10 best places to live in the country. Good luck with your decision.

Attachments

• Mid-Winter Sun copy.jpg
    Mid-Winter Sun copy.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 423
  • Nature in Balence copy.jpg
    Nature in Balence copy.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 410
  • Mid-Winter Sun copy.jpg
    Mid-Winter Sun copy.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 418
  • Nature in Balence copy.jpg
    Nature in Balence copy.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 410

hagerman

Mar 17, 2008
Oregon
I lived in aspen for a while. people usually have bad things to say about that town but they only hear about the richies who are there a short time each year. if you spent time there and got to know the working population you would have a very different opinion. i made one of the biggest mistakes of my life when i left. now i am trying to get back as soon as i can. I am sure that most of the resort towns are the same way. dont listen to opinions about the people who only have a vacation home. the people that live in these towns year round are what matter and most are great people who love and appreciate where they are.

I also enjoyed the arkansas valley very much. I got a bunch of garnets along the river. didnt know about the GPAA claims. Cant wait to get back and check them out.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Look at the Grand Junction area.
If you are skilled in just about any area there are good jobs to be had.

The unemployment rate is averaging 3%.
Employers are looking all over to fill jobs they can't find help for.

And it is right in the area where Butch Cassidy and the wild bunch used to maraud.

Thom

travel

Dec 27, 2007
summertown georgia
Old Dog said:
Look at the Grand Junction area.
If you are skilled in just about any area there are good jobs to be had.

The unemployment rate is averaging 3%.
Employers are looking all over to fill jobs they can't find help for.

And it is right in the area where Butch Cassidy and the wild bunch used to maraud.

Thom
have to agree with you thom we are from ga. but come to grand junction area every year.we have frinds in collbran(same as family we kind of adopted each other) very frindly people we love the area and people.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lloyd, I don't know if you're still looking to move here but I'll add my two cents. Sorry I'm late. I live in Frisco, a mountain town. There's some pretty nice folks here and there's some pretty uppity ones. Prices are high, but wages are generally higher. If you rent, you can figure a minimum of a dollar a square foot. They sell land by the pound up here, not by the acre. Gas prices are always higher as we need to gouge the tourists. There should be a locals discount. Prices on all your other basics are generally comparable to the rest of the country. However, if you manage your money, you can do alright. Be prepared for the diversity, as you will run into folks from all over the face of the earth, and some I think are not from this world. Wherever you're from, you hate tourists. We have an abundance of them and try your best to be nice and tolerate them, as they are the ones who write our paychecks. I'm from Oklahoma and have been here 4 1/2 years. I still can't handle the winters but summer in the mountains is better than any place in the US. And check out the San Luis Valley, where I go to get out of the mountains.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread