Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These funny detecting stories by "Old Coon" are posted on another forum, nothing whatsoever to even do with metal detecting. Old Coon granted me permission to share with y'all. His humor in these stories reminds me of Old Coot oops, I meant Monty ;D

Metal Detecting In Dingle #1

I decided to go metal detecting this morning out on the bald big old hill up behind the school. I huffed and puffed getting up there and when I got to the top I sat down in an old terrace some forgotten farmer carved out of the landscape long before I burst on the scene. I had to get my breath back, don't you see? I am not as young as I used to be when I regularly climbed the hill.

This was the big sledding hill, the hill generations of Dingleites climbed to partake of winter fun. Up in the terrace we used to build fires, sometimes with logs and other times with old tires, to keep warm between runs.

Now I don't run my machine in the terrace much because you really get some screwy numbers. See, them there tires had wire reinforcing in them and even after the rubber part got all burned up the wire remained. Many times the wire would get tangled up in the farmer's mower when he mowed the terrace in the summer but we were not there then to hear him curse us. The wire is still there, some of it, about 3-4 inches down and really sets a metal detector off on screaming tangents like a 50 year old spinster in a motorcycle bar.

I started down the hill a bit and I got down there a little way and I got a signal. I got some pretty good numbers so I decided to dig this one. I was hoping for a silver coin but failing that any coin would do. Man was I disappointed. It was a metal top off of a ballpoint pen. Boy, now there is treasure for you.

I remember one night after most of us went home 2 guys got hold of a old sprinkling can and fetched water from the little stream at the bottom of the sledding hill. They sprinkled down the lower half of the track. The next day that baby was all ice down there. You would be sledding along, taking a nice ride when all of a sudden you would hit the ice and it was like a wild stallion at mating time. You couldn't even hang onto your sled. I got bucked off every time. My lost sled would end up on one side of the track and I on the other with my head buried in a snow bank. That was hee haw time.

Now we must have lost some money but it took me a lot of searching and coil swinging to find any of it. I got .27 cents and some assorted junk.

Being up on that hill brought back memories of 50+ years ago. All in all it was a pretty good little hunt. I enjoyed it.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THUD!!!!! THUD!!!!! Chug and Red are BOTH rolling on the floor laughing!!!!! More!!! More!!!!!! :sign10: :sign10: :smileinbox:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions