Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cancer fundraising bracelets banned by eastern Pennsylvania school

I Guess they Can't heart-brush-set-example.jpg boobies

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- A federal judge must now decide whether breast cancer fundraising bracelets that proclaim "I (heart) boobies!" can be banned by eastern Pennsylvania school as a sexually charged double entendre or should be allowed as free speech on the part of two girls threatened with discipline for wearing them.

Roper also said that eighth-graders Brianna Hawk, 13, and Kayla Martinez, 12, could still face discipline if they lose their request for a preliminary injunction to lift the district's ban on the bracelets and could be barred from attending a school dance this year.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...AOL-?SITE=PAPOE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
Re: cancer fundraising bracelets banned by eastern Pennsylvania school

I wonder if they would be allowed to wear "SOBF!" T-shirts,* in protest?

(*Set Our Boobies Free!)

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Probably Not

Most Tshirts with Sayings are already Banned in most Schools

& 3 or more shirts that Don't
Praise the Virtues of the School or the schools sports teams
would Probably be Labeled "GANG RELATED"

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If it is not bringing in money for the school then it will be banned .
But they have no problem sending the grade school kids out selling things to
bring money in for the school. And the are wearing a tshirt with the school name on it.
Wonder how much money that cost?

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California

They would probably allow, "Hooray for our school, I'm part of the herd."

:laughing7:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

or I heart-brush-set-example.jpg School Taxes & Raises

Attachments

• heart-brush-set-example.jpg
    heart-brush-set-example.jpg
    751 bytes · Views: 326

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A few years before the schools started banning printed tees, a group of guys a a high school began wearing Hooters tees.
The girls were annoyed by this so they began wearing the shirt from a new local eaterie named 'Cocks' (no joke) The tee shirt from this place read: Cocks-Nothing To Crow about!
It stopped the boys from wearing the Hooters shirt!

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California

GopherDaGold said:
A few years before the schools started banning printed tees, a group of guys a a high school began wearing Hooters tees.
The girls were annoyed by this so they began wearing the shirt from a new local eaterie named 'Cocks' (no joke) The tee shirt from this place read: Cocks-Nothing To Crow about!
It stopped the boys from wearing the Hooters shirt!

And "They" keep trying to tell us that kids aren't as smart as adults?

:laughing7:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Seems I was wrong about the girls wearing a shirt from a restaurant. They designed it themselves.

From RightsMatter.org :

Hooters and Cocks in Ames, Iowa
by Nan D. Stein, Center for Research on Women at Wellesley College

There are many ways to fight for rights and equal treatment. Going to court is by no means the only option – or always the best one.

Sometimes it's much more effective to be creative. Here's a story from Ames , Iowa back in the mid 90s.

For over a year, some boys in the middle school in Ames had worn "Hooters" t-shirts to school. They featured owl eyes peering out from the letter "O," that fell strategically around the nipple area, with this slogan, "More than a mouthful," sometimes on the back, sometimes on front of the t-shirt.

In response, a group of eighth grade girls decided to create a parallel parody. After some friendly adult (fathers and male teachers) in-put, they created a t-shirt that proclaimed: "Cocks. Nothing to crow about."

However, by the time these t-shirts were rolling off the presses, both the Hooters and Cocks t-shirts had been banned by the principal. That was not the outcome that the girls wanted. In the words of Sarah Hegland, one of the leaders, "We wanted the hooters shirts to be socially unacceptable rather than legally unacceptable."

Despite of the threat of suspension, about 20 students wore their Cocks t-shirts to school on a particular day. Most students did not make it to their first period class in these shirts. They were met at the front door and told to turn the shirts inside out. Most complied. Four did not and were suspended (three boys and one girl).

The leaders, Erin Rollenhagen and Sarah Hegland, joined a group of other girls in the principal's office to discuss the issues implicit in this episode. As Erin told me in an interview in October 1995, "Sarah and I felt it was our job to negotiate to get some positive outcomes." They repeated what they had said in an earlier letter to the principal -- they wanted a public forum on the two issues involved in this episode, free speech and sexism.

They got their public forum. About 300 people attended, including the national executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union, Ira Glasser, who happened to be in Ames at the same time. And their story made the local and national press, including Seventeen magazine.

Erin wrote, "It's true, no major school policy changes were made, but there were some other changes. At least for a while, people talked and thought about sexism. A lot of us really needed this controversy to remind us that we do have the right to demand respect for ourselves."

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well The Words Boobies & Hooters are not offensive
no matter how they are Used.

In fact I would guess Most parents
would not have a Problem with their children using them
in company. Even TV Shows would not Ban them no matter
what context they are used.

The other, When used certain ways does Offend some.
and I Won't use it on this Forum Post,
& Am debating if it is even Proper to
allow it here in a Family Oriented site.

I Would support the principal against the girls.

But allow the Hooters because it's not an Offensive word

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stefen said:
The Principal is a boob :thumbsup:
Half the pop. of the U.S.(or more) are big boobs! I'm still trying to figure out how "we" (as a country) got to this point in the first place.

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California

jeff---

The "other" word also refers to a rooster. Problem with that is, nobody uses that definition anymore, so everyone always thinks of the same meaning nowdays.

Isn't there an old children's story, about a rooster with that in the title, though?

Maybe I'm thinking about the use of it with the phrase, "...and bull story."

But it seems like there is another actual story....

Anyway, when they add, "Nothing to crow about," it's a way of making the usage ambiguous, so it might not hold up in court that it's profanity.

Either way you look at it, it shouldn't seem all that strange to people, because there are some small, country type, communities in the U.S., where approximately half the population have one, anyway.

:dontknow:

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes

This shoots my idea for a cervical cancer awareness fund raiser.

In all honesty, I think it is absurd they would ban something as trivial as this.

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California

WindHarvester---

The "educators" tell us that they are preparing kids for the "real world," so I guess they are teaching them how ridiculous the education system is!

They keep telling kids that they want them to act like adults. But if you keep treating anyone, no matter what age they are, like a child, they will soon start behaving like children.

It's strange that a couple hundred years ago, people worked, got married, and started families, prior to what is now the "legal" age of adulthood. Who do you suppose has done this to our kids? (Duh!)

I think there is more politics (money) involved in their version of "what's good for kids," than there is actual logic.

:coffee2:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's a shame it took a court Decision.

But Common sense won for now

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Breast cancer fundraising bracelets that proclaim "I (heart) boobies!" are not lewd or vulgar and can't be banned by public school officials who find them offensive, a federal judge in Pennsylvania said Tuesday in a preliminary ruling.

The ruling is a victory for two Easton girls suspended for defying a ban on their middle school's Breast Cancer Awareness Day.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...AOL-?SITE=PAPOE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread