Will I Live to see 80?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's something to think about.

I recently picked a new primary care doctor. After two visits and exhaustive Lab tests, he said I was doing 'fairly well' for my age. (I just turned sixty-something.)
A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't resist asking him, 'Do
you think I'll live to be 80?'
He asked, 'Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer, wine or hard liquor?
'Oh no,' I replied. 'I'm not doing drugs, either!'
Then he asked, 'Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued Ribs?
'I said, 'Not much... my former doctor said that all red meat is very unhealthy!'
'Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing golf, boating, sailing,
hiking, or bicycling?'
'No, I don't,' I said.
He asked, 'Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a Lots of sex?'
'No,' I said...
He looked at me and said,..

'Then, why do you even give a sh*t?'

S

stefen

I answered yes to all, and not sure if 80 is a reasonable goal...:dontknow:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to give an example. I smoked for 40 years, then quit in 2000. I was ok for several years; now I have COPD and am on inhalers and oxygen at times. I'm paying for my 'sins'. Quite a few years ago, I went to work one Monday morning and was greeted by one of my friends, who was also an employee. He said that he had attended his sisters funeral the day before. He said that she was an 'old maid' school teacher, about 58 years old. She had never smoked, or been around anyone who smoked very often. But, she died of lung cancer. Yeah, a 'smoke-free environment', schools, I guess gave her lung cancer? My wife's step-grand-dad smoked and drank Southern Comfort all of his life. He had his gallbladder removed when he was 84. Well, I guess the smoking and drinking finally caught up with him. He died when he was 92 years old. (A little tale about him and his Southern Comfort: My wife and I picked him up at the nursing home to take him to see his daughter and her husband in the next town, about 2 years before he died. When we went into his room, a nurse was there with a wheelchair to roll him out to the car. He told her he didn't need or want the wheelchair; but that if she would come with him to see his daughter in the next town, he would show her a great time and had a bottle of Southern Comfort in the bedside cabinet to take with them. She laughed and told him that he knew full well that he had no such thing. He laughed too; and reached into the cabinet and pulled an almost full bottle of Southern Comfort!!)
Well, that's enough; but I could tell several more stories about how 'healthy living' can prolong/shorten your lives!

S

stefen

I would like to give an example. I smoked for 40 years, then quit in 2000. I was ok for several years; now I have COPD and am on inhalers and oxygen at times. I'm paying for my 'sins'. Quite a few years ago, I went to work one Monday morning and was greeted by one of my friends, who was also an employee. He said that he had attended his sisters funeral the day before. He said that she was an 'old maid' school teacher, about 58 years old. She had never smoked, or been around anyone who smoked very often. But, she died of lung cancer. Yeah, a 'smoke-free environment', schools, I guess gave her lung cancer? My wife's step-grand-dad smoked and drank Southern Comfort all of his life. He had his gallbladder removed when he was 84. Well, I guess the smoking and drinking finally caught up with him. He died when he was 92 years old. (A little tale about him and his Southern Comfort: My wife and I picked him up at the nursing home to take him to see his daughter and her husband in the next town, about 2 years before he died. When we went into his room, a nurse was there with a wheelchair to roll him out to the car. He told her he didn't need or want the wheelchair; but that if she would come with him to see his daughter in the next town, he would show her a great time and had a bottle of Southern Comfort in the bedside cabinet to take with them. She laughed and told him that he knew full well that he had no such thing. He laughed too; and reached into the cabinet and pulled an almost full bottle of Southern Comfort!!)
Well, that's enough; but I could tell several more stories about how 'healthy living' can prolong/shorten your lives!

I'M SO DEPRESSED NOW, THINK I''LL SHOOT MYSELF...ER, DRINK,...ER, TAKE A BIG

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ADS!! Very insightful physician!! Hope your well!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread