Microsoft called today ... my computer is infected!

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ring, Ring. "Pioneer tech support. How may I help you?"

"Hello sir, my name is Hari and I work for microsoft technical support. I am needing to let you know that your computer has been sending out viruses all over the internet. Have you been noticing any strange behavior on your computer?"

Me: "Like what?"

Hari: "Well, is your computer is showing popups and running slowly? This will mean that you are having viruses running on your computer."

Me: "Well, now that you mention it, yes my computer has been acting a bit weird! Can you help me fix it?" ... I do a quick google search in the background ...

Hari: "Yes we can help you fix your computer and ---" I cut him off

Me: "Man, you called just in time. I keep getting this popup all day and it just won't stop! LISTEN!!" ... I put the phone up to the speaker as I click on play ...

Me: "I'll have to call you back, the popups are going crazy! One of them camels must be horny, it keeps trying to nibble on my ear!" ... I slam down the phone and had a good laugh at Hari's expense. I've cleaned up too many computers these guys have fixed.

A couple of minutes later, Hari called back so I cranked up the volume and it got quiet on his end of the phone.

Me: "You still there?"

Hari: "That makes me so homesick!"

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great - I had a guy call me saying the exact same thing. I acted like I was really interested in what he was saying, and when he finally asked for my information:

I said "wow, that's crazy that you got all that information about my computer; I don't own a computer" He hung up.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
He keeps calling and I keep trying to sell him a time share condo in Miami.

He refuses to give me his credit card info...

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually comment on different sex acts between their mother and various farm animals. They actually hang up on me!

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Answer .. say welcome to the dept of vet affairs ,please and throw on some elivator tunes

S

stefen

Gee!

I have an Apple. Now tell me again how it is infected...Oh, by inferior software...WOW, must be the MS stuff I have as a cross-over...

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Gee!

I have an Apple. Now tell me again how it is infected...Oh, by inferior software...WOW, must be the MS stuff I have as a cross-over...

No, the computer was NOT infected, it was a fella from somewhere in the middle east trying to scam me.

Did you ever wonder why apple called their tablet the I-Pad?

Incompatible Pad just didn't quite have the same "ring" to it.

Keep an umbrella handy. I've seen a couple of mac users drown in a drizzle.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We've been getting several calls about our computers, sometime as many as 4 a week. My son-in-law and I love to play with these people! We try to use up as much of their time as possible before telling them what we're doing! I was told to press 2 buttons on my computer and tell them what I saw. I told them that I pressed the buttons, but nothing happened. Told him I tried again, but nothing. He started telling me more things to do. When I got tired of messing with him, I told him I built my own computers and maintained them; that I didn't need his help. He said that I was wrong, I couldn't get the viruses out of my computer without his help. I told him what had been happening between him, his mother, and some farm animals. He said he didn't understand. I told him to go #^@% himself and hung up.
Yesterday I got a call from a woman! She asked me if I was in front of my computer. I asked her what computer; that I didn't have one. She apologized for bothering me and hung up!
I told a man last week, after leading him on for several minutes, that I was retired and really enjoyed getting calls from them. That I didn't have many ways to entertain myself; that they were a nice diversion!

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys realize these are not random calls?
Most of your info has been hacked already.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You guys realize these are not random calls?
Most of your info has been hacked already.

Hmm ... interesting. My phone at work is a "hello" line. I'm a debt collector and we have a hello line that has no caller ID, is not a listed number, has no references to it anywhere online and has never been used for anything on my job. I've had it for over 15 years (the company has had it for more than 20) so that's interesting.

The number is not connected to any electronic devices (computers, alarms, faxes, etc.), nor has it ever been.

The calls are random. They generate a list of phone numbers, call them all, then they generate a new list of numbers.

How could they hack my 30 year old phone system?

BTW, got a new voice over ip phone two weeks ago, and I've already had telemarketing calls. Too many scammers out there.

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHAHAHA,,
Scam for sure,,,
My father, who is 81 now has got the same type of call in the last week or so.
Told him it was "noticed" that his computer was sending viruses out.
So my dad,,,the trusting soul that he is told the tech that I (20 years in IT) would call him back.

So I returned a call to the number provided and the call WAS answered (imagine that).
I asked what exactly the issue was and was informed that his computer was severely infected.
Then I asked if he was POSITIVE that it was his IP that coming up, tech said yes.

At this point I couldn't control myself anymore and burst out laughing.
Tech asked why,,, And I told him.
"Yes, my father does own a computer, and yes again that he uses it quite a bit, but the computer is NOT CONNECTED TO ANY NETWORK.
Nor has it been on the internet for over 2 years. All he uses it for is to write and keep track of things.
So,, I proceeded to ream the scammer out,,, noted his number and then blasted his eardrums with a canned air horn thing my mom uses when she gets telemarketers calls.

It was actually kinda fun and dad loved it.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Before I moved here Mom (89) answered one of them and believed them. They locked her computer so that it didn't work at all, blamed the virus, and said they'd fix it for $100. So she paid them the money. She continued having trouble, they continued calling, she continued giving them money.

After my brother and I kept telling her what was going on, she continued going on with the crap. Finally we got through to her, so she bought a new computer. And, she doesn't talk to them anymore.

They still call her, even today - I answer the phone now.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, just got the call a couple minutes ago, Broken English with the standard back ground noise of dozens of other scammers.

He said someone was trying to "access my computer from a remote site", I said "thank you very much", and hung up.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone have any idea when this crap will end? I'm getting emails that my Pay Pal account is no longer working until I update my info. Also had one yesterday that my credit card had an error purchase on it and I could no longer use it until I filled out a form online. I got a call about a week ago that was a recording. It stated that I was in a lot of trouble with IRS and I should call a certain number to get it settled. I called the number numerous times. Either no answer or busy signal. I was going to have some fun with the freaks. When I get an email about my Pay Pal or my credit account, I send it to the spoof section so they can see what it is. I'll sometime get a reply and thank you. I have sent so many to Pay Pal, they have stopped sending very many replies! If I ever become rich, this is one of my main priorities; to find some of these people and cause them some grief!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep politics out of threads not in our political forum...

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Please keep politics out of threads not in our political forum...

Okie Dokie. Sorry, did not see it as political. My mistake.

Anyone have any idea when this crap will end? I'm getting emails that my Pay Pal account is no longer working until I update my info. Also had one yesterday that my credit card had an error purchase on it and I could no longer use it until I filled out a form online. I got a call about a week ago that was a recording. It stated that I was in a lot of trouble with IRS and I should call a certain number to get it settled. I called the number numerous times. Either no answer or busy signal. I was going to have some fun with the freaks. When I get an email about my Pay Pal or my credit account, I send it to the spoof section so they can see what it is. I'll sometime get a reply and thank you. I have sent so many to Pay Pal, they have stopped sending very many replies! If I ever become rich, this is one of my main priorities; to find some of these people and cause them some grief!

Greed. Wanting something to which they are not entitled, much as someone who breaks into your home at night to take away your personal property and anything else they can get. Thieves (oh my!), Liars (I can't believe someone would use such a word), or as (I like this one) EVILDOERS (So VERY JUDGMENTAL!!!).

Hope that was better. At least it isn't political.

----------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------

On a side note, isn't being "politically correct" exactly what it says: POLITICAL?

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
LOL!!! Hari just called again and asked if I was, "still having viruses on my computer?"

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are 'expanding' their topics. I got a call the other day. A recording announced that I was in 'big trouble' with the IRS. They gave me a number to call to try to get help. I thought, 'Hmm, might be fun!' I called the number several times. Each time I either got a busy signal or no answer. I finally gave up after calling several times a day for about 3 days.
Then I got a call from a woman that said she was with Microsoft and that according their main server, my computer has a virus. I asked her what computer she was talking about. She said the one I use all the time. I told her I didn't own a computer, or even a cordless phone; that I think things such as that are against 'human nature'. She actually apologized for disturbing me and hung up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread