jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put $40.00 in my tank yesterday Didn't fill it.

I Wish I would have Known this :(

Gas glitch: $2 per gallon

People were partying like it was spring 2005 — the last time gas cost $1.99 per gallon.

65190631499293x1_20080205news_K375.jpg

A mob converged on Sheetz, 900 Gordon Nagle Trail, Monday evening after a computer glitch caused gas prices for all three octane grades to drop by $1.<

br>
Sheetz spokeswoman Monica Jones said in a telephone interview that the store had no choice but to honor $1.99, $2.09 and $2.19 prices for each grade of gas if the customer paid with a credit card. Listed prices were $2.99, $3.09 and $3.19.

The discounted prices were available from about 4:30 to 7:30 p.m.

Jones, based in Altoona, said store employees were unaware of the glitch for more than an hour.

“We have no idea what’s going on,” one store employee admitted.

At the pumps, it was chaos.

“It was crazy. I thought somebody was going to get shot,” Gary Baimbridge, Minersville, said. “People were pushing each other out of the way to get a dollar off gas. People were saying ‘get the freak out of my way. This is my pump.

Word of the cheap gas spread quickly.

“My friend called me up and said it’s (mid-grade gas) $2.09,” Todd Yanchick, 31, of Seltzer, said. “I hope it stays like that until they run out of gas.”

By 6:30 p.m., about 40 vehicles were lined up as horns honked, the bargain-hunters cursed at each other and at least two men unloaded multiple gas cans from the back of trucks to take advantage of the situation.

At the same time, store supervisor Ashleigh Dargis told a REPUBLICAN & Herald reporter she didn’t know prices had been lowered, adding “Nobody said anything to me. I’ll have to go fix that.”

By about 7:30 p.m. Jones said the store had to shut down its 10 pumps to reset the computers.

By 8 p.m., she said the glitch was fixed and the pumps were back on — at regular price.

Jones said human error was initially to blame, but attempts by store employees to fix the problem actually made it worse.

As one customer drove off after paying $12 for more than five gallons of mid-grade gas, he said, “I think someone screwed up here.”

Jones said it was difficult to determine how much money Sheetz lost during the three-hour span, but “it was enough to warrant the shutdown.”

One man said he came to take advantage of the savings but couldn’t because he paid with cash.

Jones said Sheetz buys the gasoline at wholesale for “two or three pennies below the listed price.”

She also said the glitch was an isolated incident and no other Sheetz had experienced similar problems.

http://www.republicanherald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19263223&BRD=2626&PAG=461&dept_id=529074&rfi=6

Comming Next week $4.00 Per Gallon Glitch for a Month
No Rush to fix that
:P

oldbuzzard

Dec 5, 2007
Lost in Az.
Shameful people taking advantage of that situation. **mental note** Buy trailer with 250 Gallon Tank just in case. Hey I'll deal with the shame later ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread