Very Disturbing News APRIL FOOL!!!

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
I found this article in today's paper:

METAL DETECTING HOBBISTS DAMAGING THE ENVIRONMENT
Delaware State Journal
Sarah Kuchinisch, Science Reporter
A preliminary report from a 5 year study, funded by the U.S. Dept of Agriculture, indicates there is a strong deleterious effect on earthworms, especially the variety known by the scientific name Genus Aporrectodea turgid, by the use of hobby metal detectors. According to Dr. Pohmben Keemau, a Nobel Prize-winning biologist from the Delaware University Biology Department, the radiation emitted by detectors causes serious reproduction problems in immature worms. "The radiation of frequencies transmitted by metal detectors between 1.5 kilohertz and 100 kilohertz severely damages internal organs of immature worms, specifically the Tumescence Genitale organs," Kemau said. "Because of this the worm becomes sterile when mature. It is similar to the effect of high powered sonars, used by the Navy, on whales". Kemau also said the problem was widespread. "Thousands and thousands of acres searched by metal detectorists are effectively sterilizing untold millions of earthworms. It's a serious issue. It is a fact that earthworms revitalize soil, and soil without the work done by earthworms stresses the growth of flora," he said. Doctor Keemau went on to say the University was expanding the study to determine the effect of hobby metal detectors on our ocean's coast lines. "We suspect that the metal detectors are interfering with sand fleas, Genus Menticirrhus. Menticirrhus is a key link in the shore-line food chain effecting both the fish and shore bird populations which rely on them for food," he said. New Jersey and Delaware are already considering banning most metal detecting in their respective states. Upon completion of the study a report will be sent to Congress for national legislative action if they deem it necessary.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Very Disturbing News

what a crock of b.s. watch it will get passed in nj...considering they are about as bright as a dimwitted light bulb here.. omg don't get me started on NJ.

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

And I suppose that the government will believe the bull and outlaw detectors. So now they are using their vivid imaginations to get rid of us! How freakin stupid!

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeasty...an interesting choice of handles.....maybe a story behind that?

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

APPORECTODEA TURGIDA Scientific name for pasture worm, commonly found in gardens, fields, turf, compost, and banks of springs and streams. This worm lacks pigment. The anterior may be flesh pink, the remaining segments pale gray.

TT, kind of sounds like a few politicians I know. LOL

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT

Considering the fact that a very small percent of land is searched and only to a very shallow depth, I cant see the any possible way (if its true) that it would endanger any species of worm. You would think maybe conservation would go to other things first.

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega

Thats just outright stupid! :P Guess I will become a criminal then........I will have to keep a lookout for the federal worm police I guess. Lemme see. Now my taxes have to support baby momas, crack dealers AND worm police. I suspect the end is near and the total war will start soon. Like mad max I will roam the desolate country side with a pasta strainer on my head and a 15 inch coil straped to my chest as a breastplate :icon_jokercolor:

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

How absolutey stupid.

Whaddya wanna bet they stuck a Minelab at full power in a tank fulla worms and kept changing batteries for 5 years?

:D :D :D :D :D

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Hmm, I might point out an immediate indication that this study is VERY flawed. Look at the spectrums listed! That is a huge number, 1-100? And they ALL cause sterilization?

I need to know a lot more about this study. Is there indication of widespread worm sterilization? How significant is it from normal sterilization rates? How was the verification done? Under what circumstances? How long were they exposed? A normal scan exposes a worm for a VERY short period of time, and this was enough to cause sterilization?

First I was not aware that this is a wide spread problem?

The number of detectorists and the amount of actual land covered is not enough (in my opinion) to cause a wide ranging epidemic. We could not cover enough land if we wanted to!

How bogus is this?

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

Well if we are responsible for global warming might as well take the rap for messing up the worms and sand fleas too-such a crock but it is always about control

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

Pure BS. First we steal now we kill. Let's see, what can we do next?

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White

Funded by the Dept Of Ag for five years? MMMM
That's lots of years pay for Sand Fleas.

Sand fleas feed off people and birds.

The worm deal is covered, the time, freq. and coverage.
If this is true then all power lines will have to come down.
The harmonics of 55000 volts would also sterilize worms.

Fire ants should be the target, it is killing more quail and birds
than has been reported. The quail are being depleted, young animals
are being killed. I have made my own study without a five year grant,
in fact 8 years I spent most of my profit on chemicals, that increased the number of earth worms on ten acres and decreased the number of fire ants.
I had so many earth worms on four acre orchard that fed about 40 or 50 Robins year round.

I got my self a Whites MD and hunted this area day after day. If it had depleted the worms, it would have gotten my attention.

The worms spread a quarter mile in all directions over a four year period. I cheated the first year, I built a 4'x8' concrete box and fed the worms I got from a friend that was in the rabbit business, after they over populated I busted the bottom out and released them.

This has got to be a April Fool joke or some money grubbing Idiot is trying to make a fool out of Congress and the Dept Of Ag. which may not be hard to do. Gnewt

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT

1.5 - 100Khz? Those freqs travel through the coils in stereo speakers. Well I guess that means no more car stereos.

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT

This doc is not listed on the UoD staff directory.
I'm calling fake also.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You guys do know what today is, don't you?

National Treasure Hunters Day!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Sand flea bites are known to carry various diseases such as Carrions disease, the Pappataci fever virus, and various parasites that can cause conditions such as Leishmaniasis.

Earthworms are known to carry blood pathogens that cause detrimental crop diseases....potato blight,etc....

Detect away :)

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Detectors emitting radiation? The US Dept of Agriculture spending probably millions on a 5 year study on MDing effects on the environment? Sounds fishy to me.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE

Hmmmmm.........no mention of this article in any delaware paper, as a matter of fact it doesn't look like the "delaware state journal" has existed for over 150 years. There is no nobel prize category for biology. And according to the interwebnets, Dr. Phomben Keemau doesn't exist(although I may now adopt the name, it's kinda catchy). So, yeah, without evidence, I'm gonna have to call shenannygans, too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread