Old Farm Trash Dump Site

rudolph411

May 30, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a place that anyone in Conn. can find as Hwy 8 bisects it.
When I was a kid (am 60 now) I use to live up at the end of Sylvan lake RD. in Oakville,Conn.
Anyways once there it forms a Y , the bottom leg is Sylvan Lake RD, The left arm went to my house and the Dwyers house,
the right arm went to the barn and a small farm workers house. Now just before you get to the barn there is a dirt road
to your left it goes down quite a ways almost to Waterville , but down this road about half to three quarters of a mile ,
just before you get to the high tention electric wires on the left hand side is the old dump.
This dump had been there since the 1800's when it was first started.
From the last time that I was there in 1982 the barn has burned down. When I was a kid that was the one place on earth that I have always loved. Heck that's where I learned about smoking corn silk, That if you put a spigot on the drain to the corn silo you could get drunk after straining the juices through a milk filter, That peperoni came in a big stick, that night fishing was fun, and as I got older girls were more fun around a farm.

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
I looked it up on maps.live.com and it rt 8 does go right through it. I think a way in on the other side of the highway would be necessary to get to it now.

As it is too cold to do anything now, I was going to try it in the spring if others were interested. I live about 10 minutes from there.

resqnine

Greenie
Feb 15, 2009
I'm right down the road from there and will also check it out when the ground decides to thaw. Anybody interested in joining in feel free and let me know. Will post more info when I make the trip.

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Let me know when you wish to go. I will make the trip with you and invite a friend of mine to go with me. Weekends are best for me as I work until 4:00.

resqnine

Greenie
Feb 15, 2009
Sounds good. We'll try in the spring or whenever the ground softens up some. My schedule rotates, so I'll try when I get a weekend off.

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Is the ground more thawed down your way? I went out today and gave up with nothing but a fish hook to show for it because I just couldn't dig.

If it is easier digging down your way and you have a place that you would be willing to share, my friend and I are up for it.

Just let me know but as stated previously, it has to be on a weekend. I am about 1 1/2 hours from there.

resqnine

Greenie
Feb 15, 2009
Let me know to. I'm willing to travel and your welcome up here when it thaws if you want to find the dump. Any good hunts down the Groton way? Still researching Ct and always looking for places that are not off limits.

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I"ve been out 7 times this month... there are a few places that are getting sun all day and the ground is good for digging and others that are still to hard to dig...

I have 2 Merc's 42 & 43, 1898 IH, '36S Buffalo 43P, 40% Silver Nickle and a 40% '67 Kennedy half.... and 11 wheats... rerst is clad... no jewelry yet... so far for February... Not a bad start to 2009 for New England...

I've just been at Schools and down by our local public beach....

Paul

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Paul, how is the big park there in Groton? I go by all the time and wonder. There's usually a bunch of guys playing b-ball. I never see you out there detecting...or anyone for that matter.

I picked up a place in Norwich today. 1850's house. Can't wait to detect it.

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
TooManyHobbies said:
Hey Paul, how is the big park there in Groton? I go by all the time and wonder. There's usually a bunch of guys playing b-ball. I never see you out there detecting...or anyone for that matter.

I picked up a place in Norwich today. 1850's house. Can't wait to detect it.

Hey good luck on your hunt there!!! Could be a potentially good site!!

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1850's house only gave up a few clad coins so far. Nothing special. I may try one more time.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I generally keep it on coin/jewelry. I'm not big into relics, but I'll dig them if they read like a coin or pull tab.

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
TooManyHobbies said:
No, I generally keep it on coin/jewelry. I'm not big into relics, but I'll dig them if they read like a coin or pull tab.

All metal is not just for relics. It tends to go deeper than the discriminate mode and might give you an edge on finding deeper coins.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha, I'll try it like that. Maybe that's why I can't find a coin more than 4 or 5 inches down. Thanks.

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
You're welcome but just remember your machine will signal on everything that is metal. You will probably dig a lot of junk but you might find the deeper coins.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out right after my last post to an old foundation I found a mile or so in the woods while deer hunting. Wasn't positive at first if it was a foundation. Right away my son and I get iron signals. Broken iron pots, nails, my son found a two pronged fork. I found a button, that when cleaned was shiny (??). Then I switched coin mode to relic mode. A couple minutes later found an old musket ball, .69 caliber I believe, maybe even teeth marks, but not sure. Enough to interest me into going back. Anyway, I played with the settings a bit to learn the detector a bit more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread